• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newbie question about Samsung Captivate

joojoobee

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
Hi all, newbie Android user here! Here's my question..............

Samsung Captivate: I bought the 2gb data plan for my phone and I don't want to go over my plan. I have a wireless home network (Linksys) for our laptops. I turned on the wifi on my phone and the 3G disappeared from the top of my phone an wifi appeared. Does that mean I am connected to my home wireless now and not using up my data plan minutes?
I didn't enter any passwords or anything. I am totally confused and I hope I am not confusing anyone else with my question!
I just want to browse the web for free! How?

Yes it should, however, if you lose the wifi connection, it will go back to 3g. To be sure you dont use 3g, hit Menu-Settings-Wireless and Networks, and turn off Mobile Network (3g). you can also add widgets to do this on your home screen.

I didn't enter any passwords or anything. I am totally confused and I hope I am not confusing anyone else with my question!
I just want to browse the web for free! How?

You might be connected to a neighbors Open network. Go to Menu-Settings-wireless and networks, click on wifi, then click on your wifi to enter your password.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones