• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie question about software updates on Android

Tal

Jul 6, 2011
I'm thinking of coming to Android from Apple. Next month I will be probably getting a S2.

Has you will all know, every so often Apple release software updates for their devices, there was iOS 3, then iOS 4 (with smaller updates in-between) and coming this autumn is going to be iOS 5.

I'm wondering if the Android software that is on the S2 or the Android software that is on phones in general has similar updates to Apple, which are then easy to install.

Apologizes if its a daft question, but I know nothing about Android.

I'm wondering if the Android software that is on the S2 or the Android software that is on phones in general has similar updates to Apple, which are then easy to install.

Yes and no. :)

Yes, in that updates are easy to install either via Samsung's PC software Kies or the lower-level update tool Odin.

No, in that unlike the iPhone updates to the firmware depend on several different entities. Once a new Android version is made available the various manufacturers e.g. Samsung have to tailor that to their particular hardware and (inevitably) add their own overlay e.g. TouchWiz. It will then be rolled out to handsets.... except those locked to networks, which usually have their own specific versions and thus their own update schedules.

There's also no "annual update" type schedule with Android. It's a constantly evolving platform - witness the fact that 2.3.4 hasn't been generally rolled out yet and already 2.3.5 is allegedly being prepped for release to the Nexus S.

That's the official warranty and contract-friendly line. Unofficially... well, the number of firmware-related topics in here says it all. :)

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks very much Slug for the help, its much appreciated.

I suppose with Android though, most things that Apple add onto their iPhone's via their updates, would probably be addable onto an Android handset via an Android app.

I presume that it is either possible (or possible with an app) with Android to group similar apps together (for example games) in a folder, to keep things organised/tidy. Basically similar to the folders feature that was added onto the iPhone via an update last year?

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones