1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newbie question - configuring Exchange Activesync

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FASTdan, Feb 10, 2011.

1. FASTdan

FASTdan Lurker

Hi,

Im new here, seems like an excellent forum though :)

I am trying to configure my new business webmail to be read on my HTC. However I am unsure of what info is required in each field. The info on my mail website is as follows:

Manual Settings

Mail Server Username: dan+danstengineering.co.uk
    Incoming Mail Server: mail.danstengineering.co.uk
    Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) sh3.valcato.com
    Outgoing Mail Server: mail.danstengineering.co.uk (server requires authentication) port 26
    Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) sh3.valcato.com (server requires authentication) port 465
    Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
    Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)

Soooo.....question is, out of the above what do I fill in in what fields on the manual set-up screen of the HTC?

Server Address?
    Domain?
    Username?

I have tried a few combinations but so far non have worked, keeps telling me username or pass needs configuring?

Any help much appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast

Well, for starters, I don't think you should be using ActiveSync.

You can use IMAP or POP, your preference.
    POP can be configured to download emaild, but leave them on the server, so that they will still download to the PC, even if you delete them from the phone.
    IMAP will keep all clients in sync, so that mail deleted from one will be reflected on the other. It's worth checking what your main PC at work is configured to use I suppose.

So select new account -> POP/IMAP, then fill in the fields accordingly, choosing the rigt ones depending on whether you want to use SSL or not:

For POP3, SSL

email address:- <your email>
    username:- dan+danstengineering.co.uk
    password:- <password>
    POP Server:- sh3.valcato.com
    Security Type:- SSL
    Port:-<Not sure, default of 995?>

'Next' - Hopefully it will validate your account, and move onto the outgoing setup

Check 'Login required'
    username:- dan+danstengineering.co.uk
    password:- <password>
    SMTP Server:- sh3.valcato.com
    Security Type:- SSL
    Port:-465

That's probably not 100%, but should get you most of the way there. You might need to see what port is required for your incoming (POP) server.

Also, you might find that you won't be able to send mail unless you are on your work WiFi, most SMTP servers don't allow relaying - Sending from an IP address that isn't recognised as 'Theirs'. My ISP email account won't work unless I'm at home, so I had to switch to using T-Mobile's smtp server which allows me to send, but only on a mobile data connection, not WiFi! So I use Gmail now, I can send from anywhere...

Cheers,
    Simon

3. FASTdan

FASTdan Lurker

Thats absolutely fantastic, followed your instructions and it all worked first time! :)

I hadnt realised that if you go:

settings-accounts+sync

you only get the Activesync (along with facebook etc) option. Whereas if you go from the mail app and add a new account you get the POP option.

Anyway, all working now, I can send and receive (including attachments which is an improvement over my previous hotmail).

Cheers again

Dan

4. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast

Great, glad you sorted it.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews