• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newbie question, dont flame

AlkemaCJ

Lurker
Jul 8, 2021
Good day,

Dont know where to start, but would appreciate some guidance on this project. The reason why I want to do this, is because my car's fuel gauge doesnt work, despite the manufacturers reassurance, 4 trips to the workshop later.

I have looked at the Android apps in App store, and have yet to find one that gives me what I want.

All I am looking for, is an app, that will operate as follows :-

1) Enter an opening mileage from the ODO
2) Everytime I drive the car, record the mileage from GPS
3) On the main page, show a virtual fuel gauge, including estimated fuel used as a pie graph, based on mileage traveled and average consumption.
4) Everytime I refuel, add the new mileage, fuel loaded, price per liter.

Thank you

What car?

I work at an autoshop, and we fix what the other shops in town refuse to/can't fix.

Relying on GPS and an app, neither of which can give an idea of what is really in the gas tank can lead to annoying (at least) or even dangerous (at worst) situations.

Possibly, I may be able to relay info to the guys in the shop, and they may have some advice.

BTW, a dealor is often not a great place for service.
In fact, we do a lot of work for dealors at our shop.
They just don't feel like doing (and charging for) the services, but they do not mind telling their customers that 'they' worked very hard on the vehicles.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
What year and car do you have? Where do you live?
This app is an alternative to just guestimating how often you need to fill up gas based on mileage:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner&hl=en_US&gl=US
If relies upon a car's OBD (On Board Diagnostics) so it's reading the actual hard data created by your car's integral electronics system. You'll need to purchase an adapter to plug into OBD port itself though:
https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Impro...e+adapter&qid=1625799247&s=automotive&sr=1-18
The adapter is the physical interface to your car (the ODB port is typically on the driver's side under the dashboard), the app then uses Bluetooth to link up with the adapter.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones