1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newbie question on Google accounts and the Android Market

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mtsarpilot, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Newbie

I am an Android ultra newbie. My device should arrive on Monday (getting excited to start playing). I'm doing some reading/learning ahead of time and am confused on how google accounts play in with the Market and can't find the answer in all my searching. I may be completely mis-understanding how this all works and if so, feel free to correct me.

I have a gmail account that I use for personal (let's call it personal@gmail.com) and a seperate I use when interacting with businesses or anthing that may start sending lots of junk mail (let's call it secondary@gmail.com) to keep all that out of my personal e-mail. From what I can tell, I'll need to connect the Market to a Google account, which naturally I'd want to use secondary@gmail.com. But if my phone is configured with secondary as my Google account, can I still configure the gmail app to personal@gmail.com?

Will I need to switch the phone back and forth from personal to secondary any time I want to go to the Market to keep it from tieing downloads to my personal account?

I presume I need to configure the phone when I fire it up so I want to do this correctly from the start to not start getting crap in my personal e-mail.

Thanks much for your insights to this newbie (soon to be an Android techy)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gnomad

Gnomad Well-Known Member

You can setup more than one Gmail account on your phone but there needs to be a primary account. All of your paid apps will be tied to this account so you want to make sure that you use an account that you will have for a long time. You should either use your personal account as primary or set up a new one as primary and use it exclusively for your phones. If you use an account that is set up to catch spam and junk mail your paid apps will always be tied to that account. If it gets over run with spam you will want to dump it and set up another spam catching account. You cannot do that if all of your paid apps are tied to this account.

3. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Newbie

Awesome, that is exactly what I needed to understand. I have created a gmail account just for the Android Market. Thanks !