1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newbie questions about droid charge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by salilsurendran, Aug 31, 2011.

1. salilsurendran

Hello Friends,
    I recently replaced my iPhone with a Droid Charge and several questions about it:
    1. Location Services: I noticed that if I leave my 'Standalone GPS Services' in my 'Location Services' on then the GPS is switched on all the time and it drains battery power. But if I switch it off then whenever I enter the navigation app it takes to 'Location Services'. Shouldn't it be automatically switching it on/off as needed?
    2. USB Charging: Whenever I charge it from my computer using the mini-USB cable it charges extremely slowly almost at 1% every 15 minutes whereas from a power plug or a car charger it is much faster. What can I do to speed this up?
    3. I liked the text input in the iPhone a lot better where the auto-suggested word would appear near the word being typed. I don't like Swype either. Are there any other text input methodologies that I could use or install which would mimic the iPhone?
    4. How can I set it up such that apps are updated automatically?
    5. I have 4G LTE service. Are there people who are using this as a home internet. What has been their experience with a 5 GB data cap?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Android Expert

1) When your "Standalone GPS service" is on, it doesn't drain battery as long as there is no app using it.
    2) USB charging WILL be slower than wall charger, there is NO way to speed it up.
    3) There are a lot of different types of keyboards on the market. Swiftkey, Smart Keyboard, to name a few.
    4) For each app, in the market, you can check "allow automatic update".
    5) If you dont stream too much audio/video, you should be fine. Emails, browsing, but I can't really comment on this as I was grandfathered in my unlimited.

3. Mr Marcus

Mr Marcus Well-Known Member

1. Location Services: I noticed that if I leave my 'Standalone GPS Services' in my 'Location Services' on then the GPS is switched on all the time and it drains battery power. But if I switch it off then whenever I enter the navigation app it takes to 'Location Services'. Shouldn't it be automatically switching it on/off as needed? There's a "power control" widget which lets you switch the gps on and off with a single tap.

2. USB Charging: Whenever I charge it from my computer using the mini-USB cable it charges extremely slowly almost at 1% every 15 minutes whereas from a power plug or a car charger it is much faster. What can I do to speed this up? Computer charges the phone at I believe like 500ma, as opposed to wall chargers that provide usually 750ma-1a, which makes for faster charging.

3. I liked the text input in the iPhone a lot better where the auto-suggested word would appear near the word being typed. I don't like Swype either. Are there any other text input methodologies that I could use or install which would mimic the iPhone? Try "Better Keyboard" - there's a ton of skins, some of which greatly affect the placement of keys. I think the one I'm using is called "oil slick" or something like that. I hate Swype too.

4. How can I set it up such that apps are updated automatically?
    Go into your apps in Market and hit "allow automatic updating" on the apps you want to update automatically.

5. I have 4G LTE service. Are there people who are using this as a home internet. What has been their experience with a 5 GB data cap? Couldn't tell ya, I use Comcast at home.

Hth.

4. salilsurendran

WRT usb charging via computer it is much less than half of a wall charger. Any way to find out the rate of charging?

Samsung Droid Charge Forum

The Samsung Droid Charge release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1600mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews