1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Newbie questions on "HTC Incredible S"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chiswick Singh, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Chiswick Singh

None

Jan 10, 2011
    London
    HTC Incredible S - proud new owner!

I'm trying to locate the following native utilities on my (Android) handset - assuming that they actually exist - but have had no luck:
    1. a file Explorer - to locate my files (documents, etc)
    2. a Notepad - for making basic notes
    3. a method to see what apps are running and to shut them down. For example if I want to close an application such as Facebook then I'm actually shutting it down and not just moving it to the background
    Thanks!
    Chiswick :thinking:

Advertisement

2. DeGozaru

DeGozaru Guest
    None
    Hi there,

I'm new to the forums too, so bare with me, but I think I have the answers you're looking for.
    They were pretty much the first apps I was looking for too, and you'll be glad to know that there's loads of them out there.

To start:

1. I'd suggest "Astro File Manager". It's one of the most popular file managers on the App Market and has both Free and Paid versions. I currently have the free version installed and have absolutely no problems at all using it.

2. There is a whole bunch of notepad apps on the market, it's more about finding the one you want. When I was doing some browsing it seems that a lot of people are very fond of Evernote for it's rich list of features and ability to take not only notes, but picture, video and voice recordings also. If i'm not mistaken, there is a free and paid version of that too.
    Alternatively, AK Notepad is simple, fast and effective and will do exactly what it says on the tin.

3. This is an arguable neccesity and it is definitely worth reading this Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done first.
    There are a lot of Process Managers and Task Killers around, I i'm currently using a combination of a few but only as an emergency precaution.
    Norton Utilities is quite useful for a range of reasons. It provides an ample task manager capable of killing those annoying apps, but also can keep track of your inclusive minutes, texts and data use and alerts you when you're reaching your limits. There is also an application installer and a device manager that displays your phone's CPU, Memory and internal memory space. Definitely worth it, especially since it's free.
    Advanced Task Killer is also free and does exactly that, and only that. Kills tasks. Give it a go if needed.
    Lastly, Watchdog Lite is perfect for tracking your CPU usage and monitoring which apps are putting the biggest strain on your phones resources. Again, this is another app I use personally and has definitely helped me locate various problems i've had (already!).

Hopefully that has answered the questions you had. It certainly kept me going until now.
    I'd also suggest you download an antivirus app. For precautionary measures purely. There are some pretty nasty apps out there designed specifically to disrupt your phone and steal your data.
    AVG and Lookout are "must-have's" in my opinion and would most certainly download them both if I were you. Again, they're both free and do a great job of scanning your media, messages and apps for any unwanted baddies.

Anyway, good luck with your new phone. I'm still getting to grips with mine. :)

- DeGozaru

Siddd likes this.
  3. Chiswick Singh

None

Jan 10, 2011
    London
    Hi DeGozaru,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to reply! It's much appreciated.

Am I correct to assume that there are no native apps for the aforementioned utilities? I've also noticed that my emails are displayed in plain text format instead of rich text or HTML. Is this normal for HTC/Android?

4. DeGozaru

DeGozaru Guest
    None
    Not a problem at all. I'm just glad to have helped.

From what I've found during the week I've now had my phone, there are no proprietor apps that contain these functions.
    Apart from a free version of Quickoffice which came pre-installed on my Incredible S, I don't see any other way of note-taking.

As for the other two, they're most definitely an App Market thing.

Like I said, they were pretty much the first apps I installed since I couldn't find them naively.

On a side-note, I also have a question for you.
    We both have the same phone and was wondering if you'd noticed any slow-down when in use. Like the CPU is working at It's limit?

I've installed an app called SeePU which puts a small icon in the status hat at the top of the screen and shows your current CPU usage and available RAM and at intermittent periods throughout the day it will spike real high and stay there for about an hour or so before dropping back down to a steady use again.
    It generally makes everything real slow, like the lockscreen and opening apps.

Since It's such a new device I'm struggling to find any support through Google or the forums.

Let me know if you find anything.

Chiswick Singh likes this.
  5. Chiswick Singh

None

Jan 10, 2011
    London
    Hi DeGozaru,

Yes indeed I have the HTC Incredible S on Vodafone UK, bought only last Tuesday 1st March.

My phone seems to be ok - I don't notice any issues with speed or sluggishness. In fact it's pretty slick and very responsive. Do you want me to list all the applications that I currently have (excluding the stock applications) in order to compare both handsets and eliminate what could be causing the problem on your phone?

Other than that I am using the native email client for my Hotmail. I've configured Hotmail as POP. I did try Active Sync (push mail) but it doesn't support HTML mail and was a little unreliable. However I am using Active Sync to 'push' my Hotmail Calendar which works like a dream.

Also I've tried to move most of my apps to the Micro SD card (where possible).

I have to say that the battery life is very impressive (so far!). I keep my network on 3G, Wi-Fi permanently switched and also the Bluetooth!

Hope that helps!

6. BCM

BCM Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 8, 2009
    Male
    Custom Cue Maker
    Arizona
    Hi Chiswick:

How many hours are you getting in between charges?

Any other thoughts on the phone?

What was the pricing?

Thanks!

7. yohobojo

yohobojo Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Student
    Kennesaw, Georgia

1. Astro, androzip, oi file all works fine
    2. Maybe search notepad on market? Lol
    3. A task manager is not recommended. Android native task manager outclasses a task manager.

8. Chiswick Singh

None

Jan 10, 2011
    London
    Hi BMC, currently I'm only charging once a day - and even then to keep the phone topped up. I know I should go through a few discharge/re-charge cycles to optimise the battery. With that said I'm sure the phone would last longer if I put it down for 5 minutes and stopped tinkering with it; but the handset isn't even a week old and so the novelty factor remains!

It's been a bit of a 'culture shock' moving away from the BlackBerry. The email capability of the BlackBerry is unsurpassed. I miss the tight integration of the apps with the handset such as Facebook with it's own ringtone and icon on the BlackBerry notification 'home screen'; also eBay - it's own notification tone when you're watching an item or bidding etc.
    Other than email notification I'm not sure if the HTC has this facility? Othen than that I am very impressed with the HTC!

To answer your question on pricing: I remained on my

9. BCM

BCM Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 8, 2009
    Male
    Custom Cue Maker
    Arizona

10. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

As has already been hinted at, a task manager is not recommended. You can end up stopping a process whilst in the background may still be doing something.

In the long run this can make your phone run worse.

11. haris9

haris9 Member
    None

May 30, 2010
    Hi Guys,
    I have a question about incredible s internal space. before i had desire hd and its shows 1.07 GB without installing any apps. and it was 1.5GB. now i bought incredible s it also shows 1.06GB internal space without installing any personal apps. and its is 1.1GB by htc. so what is the difference whether its stock rom is small one or it has same 1.5 GB like desire hd. :eek:

12. whattosee

whattosee Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    hi, i'm hoping someone could enlighten me. i'm still learning about these stuff. Maybe i'm a bit paranoid but i just want to make sure my HTC incredible S is okay...

My brother converted an episode of big bang theory, set the bit rate to 5000(without my knowing it) and played it on my HTC incredible S. He just played it for a few seconds on the player which the HTC incredible S already had, then played it on MoboPlayer. both players played but was laggy.

my phone crashed the day after,
    and it crashed again this morning.

i think the bit rate was definitely too much, if i had known he set it to 5000, then i wouldn't have let him play the video.

Could this(the played video) have been the cause of my phone crashing?
    What could i do to prevent my phone from keeping on crashing?

13. SpookiePower

SpookiePower Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Male
    Denmark
    I also have problems with movies not running smoothly. The first few days everything just played fine, but now, I have problems with every film. I have tried to lower the quality of a film from 600 mb to 150 mb, and setting the bitrate to 900. But the are still not running smoothly. The sound and music are no problem.

14. Timsu

Timsu Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Finland
    Hi.

My browser tells me to update Java. How do I do that? Is this even possible to update?
    This comes only a Java-enabled website.