• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root newbie questions

escalade6103

Android Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2010
BFE
Well I'm a newbie dinc user and I love this phone! But I hav some issues tht I hav to solve or I'll hav to get the Droid x or Droid 2 when it comes out next week.
I'm getting terrible signal. Everybody around me is getting like full bars and I barely have 1 maybe 2. Is there anything i can do to help this?
2nd is how do I uninstall the stock apps like cityid and fm radio? So maybe tht will help the pathetic battery life. And also which is the best extended battery to get both the same size and the larger, like what brands?
Thx guys

Don't worry about the bars. Are you calls going though and if so, how is the quality? There was talk around here a while back about a glitch that made the bars not depict the actual signal that the phone was getting. I believe you can look in the settings and see the actual dbm level. Or there are apps in the market that will show it, but I don't recall any names.

In order to uninstall stock apps, you have to root the phone. There are a number of threads with instructions on how to do this. Check out the sticky http://androidforums.com/all-things...er-nandroid-adfree-animation-remove-apps.html.

As for the extended battery, can't help you out since I don't use one and I still get about 15 to 20 hours on a full charge. Again, there are a lot of threads dedicated to batteries.

Upvote 0
Many will argue that this defeats the point of having a 3g phone, I dissagree, I just call it phone management. If I know I wont be near a charger for a bit, I simply turn off 3g and just turn it back on if I need to check e-mail or whatever, and then turn it back off. have no problems getting two days stock battery.

as far as removing apps to save battery. no.
you can root, and remove them, but they wont really help ur battery life unless this app was keeping the phone from sleeping.

like mentioned above, DInc has the same problem as my DEris had. shows low signal bars. dont go by the bars thats like judging a book by its cover unfortunately, on the other hand, go by the dbm level. go into settings, about phone, then network, you will see it in there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones