• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newbie Questions

chknhwk

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2011
Pardon my ignorance but I was wondering if somebody could help me with what some of these terms mean.
When somebody says .340 ROMs what do they mean?
Gingerbread themes means that after I load the GB rom I can change themes?
Does the same thing go for .340 themes? Since I've rooted my phone (sorta, see http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/337462-problems-bootstrap-lpp.html for issues I'm currently having, LOL) does this mean I can load different themes now?
Sorry for the newb questions but this is all new to me. Thanks!

In order to flash themes and roms you have to be deodexed and rooted. .340 roms means just that. They run on .340, or stock froyo if you will.

The same goes for Gingerbread themes and roms. All themes and roms are designed to work on there respective platforms. Meaning .340(stock froyo) themes and roms will only run on .340. Same goes for Gingerbread.

EDIT: It does get a little more involved than this but I figured Id give you the basic concept.

Upvote 0
Check out roOolers site in the root guide sticky. Its got tons of terminology and useful info on themeing, roms, and everything else you'd ever want to know. Once you've got the hang of it, visit the official rom and theme guide where most of the roms and themes can be found in their respective catagories.

Upvote 0
In order to flash themes and roms you have to be deodexed and rooted. .340 roms means just that. They run on .340, or stock froyo if you will.

The same goes for Gingerbread themes and roms. All themes and roms are designed to work on there respective platforms. Meaning .340(stock froyo) themes and roms will only run on .340. Same goes for Gingerbread.

EDIT: It does get a little more involved than this but I figured Id give you the basic concept.

Ok, that makes sense - to a point. I thought the point of flashing your device was so that we could get away from the stock software. If I'm reflashing my device why can't I run whatever version I want? Why do I have to stick with stock .340 versions? The same goes for GB.

Upvote 0
because that is all that is out right now
there is no ICS(Ice Cream Sandwich) yet, we only have froyo and GB, but our GB isnt official yet, and because of our locked up bootloaders we cannot flash custom kernels, your basically stuck to what the manufacturer wants you to be on.

there is nothing wrong with Froyo, we have multiple roms, that remove bloatware, and make it run extremely fast

however Gingerblur is faster than cleaned up froyo, so we are waiting for the official gb ota so that the devs can start to develop for the gb roms

though you must know you will never get a full vanilla experience with the X, unless moto will unlock the bootloader, and since its moto, i do not see that happening.

Upvote 0
Is there a base rom required to flash from? I.E. I'm running Liberty now but my phone has a mind of it's own, randomly selecting whatever it wants. It's so bad I literally can not have a conversation via sms or google talk and in order to make a phone call it's hit and miss because as soon as I go into contacts it will randomly call people.
So I'm wondering if I can install the .596 leak on top of Liberty?

Upvote 0
Is there a base rom required to flash from? I.E. I'm running Liberty now but my phone has a mind of it's own, randomly selecting whatever it wants. It's so bad I literally can not have a conversation via sms or google talk and in order to make a phone call it's hit and miss because as soon as I go into contacts it will randomly call people.
So I'm wondering if I can install the .596 leak on top of Liberty?

I believe if you have the TBH app you can download .340 in update.zip format and flash from stock recovery. Then preform a wipe while still in stock recovery and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones