• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newbie Start Point

Hey Scur i thank you a million times for being a huge help with this. Good to see someone outhere that wants to help. Maybe you should be promoted to a Guide

But then people would expect things of me. :)

And btw, I spent the time writing a complete step by step guide for flashing the X2 to Cricket. I'm dealing with one last issue, but after that I'll post it.

Upvote 0
Hi,
So I am a bit confused here. I followed the link to get the one-click root ([ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX))) to use on on my Mac to root my brand new Droid X2. The instructions seem simple enough and I followed them.
However, when I get to
4. Navigate to wherever you extracted it and run the file 'run_to_root_your_droid3.sh'

All that happens is the file opens in Xcode.... in other words it's an editor and not running the file.

EDIT:
Never mind. I'm an idiot. You can't just click on the file to open it. You have to go into terminal, cd to the directory where the file is and then run it by typing ./and the file name. sorry for being a bit dense.
How do I make this run?

I am on a Droid X2 that I got yesterday and updated to Gingerbread OTA.

thanks!
c

Upvote 0
I have tried every rooting program I can find and can not root my droid x2 2.3.4 phone. I keep getting an error that says I'm missing a file. I don't know what fryo, gingerbread or any other geek terms are I just want to rood my droid so I can use it as a hot spot for my laptop. I even tried z4root, nothing seems to work.

I can be reached at ron@ronabernathy.com with any help.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Phone got "stuck" after I bootstrapped with the app for droid 2. I realize this was not the proper app for me. Now, I've downloaded rsdlite and drivers, and also; the 2.3.4 sbf. rsd recognizes my phone, but after I hit "start" "internal error while programming phone" is displayed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The real kick in the nuts here is that I was trying to create a nandroid backup when this happened. Which is what I wish I had right now.

Upvote 0
In case it helps anyone else, I found some links in the droidx forums to a 2.3.4 .sbf, and rsdlite and drivers. For some reason these worked for me, when the links in this thread would not. I tried my ass off to find an unbroken link to the ezsbf for droidx2, to no avail. My first attempts at rsd didnt work, I'm not super savvy with this stuff, but it seemed to matter; where I downloaded from(droidx forums), the program I unzipped with(7-zip), and the version of rsd(5.3.1). I also was sure to unzip and ready these files available on my desktop, then restart my pc, before flashing. I ended up, as promised, with a droid x2 just like it was when I bought it. All my purchased apps were available through the market, and my backups were still on my sd. I guess what I'm saying is; don't give up!, I took me a few tries, and I've read other similar stories. If you can reach the boot screens, and android recovery, you're not bricked.

Reactions: dsmryder
Upvote 0
In case it helps anyone else, I found some links in the droidx forums to a 2.3.4 .sbf, and rsdlite and drivers. For some reason these worked for me, when the links in this thread would not. I tried my ass off to find an unbroken link to the ezsbf for droidx2, to no avail. My first attempts at rsd didnt work, I'm not super savvy with this stuff, but it seemed to matter; where I downloaded from(droidx forums), the program I unzipped with(7-zip), and the version of rsd(5.3.1). I also was sure to unzip and ready these files available on my desktop, then restart my pc, before flashing. I ended up, as promised, with a droid x2 just like it was when I bought it. All my purchased apps were available through the market, and my backups were still on my sd. I guess what I'm saying is; don't give up!, I took me a few tries, and I've read other similar stories. If you can reach the boot screens, and android recovery, you're not bricked.

Thanks for the help. my friend wants to root his X2 so we can play with some custom ROMs

Could you post where you found the file, maybe a link to it?

Upvote 0
there is no DX2 with 2.3.6
MX2 does have a 2.3.5 though
pull battery and look for model number
DX2 is MB870
MX2 is something else

try HowTo: Milestone X2 - 2.3.6 Root

edit: and your on an Alaskan cdma carrier, not verizon? yes
if so
normally milestone phones are gms, but you have one of the oddball MX2 cdma ones looks like
not sure if anyone has successfully rooted and roms one yet
and read that thread i linked

and back up your apn settings, before you flash a rom or SBF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones