1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newbie that needs help with Rooting!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by babuganoosh, Jul 4, 2013.

1. babuganoosh

babuganoosh Lurker

Hi everybody,

This is my first time rooting. I've got a Samsung Stratosphere from Verizon, and I'm having trouble finding a image recovery/custom recovery for my phone. Any help is hugely appreciated!

I've been doing my homework, but if anyone's available to help me out step by step that would be awesome. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

ocnbrze and DonB like this.
  3. babuganoosh

babuganoosh Lurker

Thanks for the response! I will give it a look and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

4. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

You are welcome and good luck! :)

Do be careful!

5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Babuganoosh, welcome to Android Forums!

If I could throw something in here really quickly:

Once you're rooted and have a custom recovery installed, the very first thing you want to do is make a nandroid backup. Words cannot describe how vital that is. Allow me to explain:

A nandroid backup makes a snapshot image of the phone's entire current state and saves it to a .zip file in user memory/SD card. That way, you KNOW that if something goes awry, you can flash it back to a known good state.

Let's say that you want to flash a new ROM, or just delete some bloatware. You proceed, follow the steps as best you can, reboot the phone, and it boots up and continuously errors out and nothing works. Or worse: the phone does NOTHING. Black screen and nothing else. Or it bootloops and never boots. What can you do?

Go back into recovery, wipe the phone and restore your nandroid, which takes your phone back to that moment in time when it worked. Then you can figure out what went wrong and try again... knowing that if something else fails, you can restore again.

If you didn't have that nandroid backup, what would you do? You'd literally have to somehow get the original factory image flashed onto the phone and start completely over. Good luck taking it to your provider, since rooting voids your warranty. Point is, I can't count the number of posts I've read from desperate new members who deleted things, skipped steps, flashed the wrong file, etc. with NO BACKUP. And they're pretty much stuck with an expensive paperweight.

Sorry for the long-winded diatribe, but I can't emphasize enough the importance of the nandroid backup. Thanks for listening :)

It's great to have you aboard!

ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  6. babuganoosh

babuganoosh Lurker

Thanks for the tip!

dustwun77 likes this.