• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie To Smartphones-Eris Questions

Droid_71

Lurker
Feb 24, 2011
First off, Hello. Second, I hate my Eris. I thought it wad just me, but looks like my issues are common. I am going to pick up a refurb tomorrow because of s blown speaker.

Two main questions. First, I have read about rooting. Can someone explain in detail what it is and what the benifits are. Second, if I were to get a new phone, what is the best quality on Verizon network?

This answers a lot of the questions about rooting: http://forum.androidcentral.com/hac...ed-questions-concerns-about-rooting-here.html

(Note: it is now fairly easy to unroot an Eris and go back to stock.) I'd say the major reason why most of us root the Eris is to get adequate performance from the phone, access to the latest Android builds (i.e., Froyo and Gingerbread), and the removal of pre-loaded bloatware on the Eris that all automatically runs.

Best quality on the Verizon network? That's a completely subjective question. The Droid Incredible is supposed to be very nice; the Droid X as wll, though it is a larger phone. The Droid Thunderbolt is due within weeks and will be the first LTE phone; the Droid 2 is a world capable phone, so it can be used in international locations with only GSM coverage, provided you make arrangements with Verizon. The Fascinate is an excellent phone which I think is finally getting a Froyo update any day now (consider that a warning: this phone has waited far too long for a stable Froyo update.) I am sure that there are other phones that I am forgetting about.

Also, of course, there is now an iPhone, there are Blackberry phones, there will be Windows 7 phones, and perhaps even WebOS phones.

It really depends on what you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones