1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newbie - transferring files from a mac to sd card not working

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ajstark123, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ajstark123

ajstark123 Lurker

I Just got an Samsung Galaxy Avant running KitKat from t-mobile.

I have a large music library on my iMac which is running Maverick. The files are in mp3 format.

I did the following with Android File Transfer program on my Mac.

I created Music folder on the SD. This was on the root of the card next to the Android folder.

I tried to copy a album (i.e. folder) containing mp3 files to the Music folder. The Folder was copied to root of the card and not into the Music folder.

How do I copy folders into the Music folder I created?

I want to use power amp or music folder player to play back my albums of music. By the way Double Twist does not work for me it scrambles the order of the music in the folder. Google Music Manager takes to much time to upload and then download the music.

Thank you
    AL

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ajstark123

ajstark123 Lurker

One other fact I forgot to mention. I tried to mount the SD card directly on my mac. My Mac want to format the card - it had an incompatible directory/folder structure.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

What format is the SD card in anyway? You could try doing it through your phone and not directly loading the card onto the Mac.

4. ajstark123

ajstark123 Lurker

My mac will not recognize the phone as a usb drive.

Android file transfer did not work. It sees the card but will only allow me to copy items to the root directory. I can not add files to an folder on the card.

I could create a music folder with the MP3 and albums in. Then copy it over in one Big Bang. But that is will be coping 30 gb at one time. I would have preferred to test it on a smaller subset.

Al

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Did you install Kies for Mac? Your laptop won't recognize your device without that. Sort of the trouble with using Macs for anything but iPhones. Kies is sort of like Samsung's PC Suite (iTunes if you will, but not really). You can manage it through that if you want. Generally though, I don't. :D

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

But if AFT copied the album to the card it _could_ recognise the device. So the question is why it copied it to the wrong place? Can you not move it into the right place using a file manager app?

(I use AFT to transfer to my HTC without problems, also 4.4 and Mavericks. That's to internal storage rather than a removable card though).

What format is your microSD? You should be able to mount a fat32 card via a reader without problems, though it won't manage ext4 for example.

7. ajstark123

ajstark123 Lurker

I have no idea what format my phone is using for the cards.

I will have to look into Kies for the mac

8. ajstark123

ajstark123 Lurker

I tried Keis. This is exactly what I needed.

I was able to transfer 43.26 GB of classical music (MP3 at 300) to my 64 gb card. It will not let me transfer an more albums over which has me me puzzled. I still have 20 gb free on the card.

Al