• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

newbie user: how 2 use sd memory instead of phone memory

Much easier way - install the AreaROM Gingerbread ROM and (if you format the SD card properly) it'll use the card as internal memory. You don't do anything - just install apps and they'll physically be on the SD card, giving you a lot more memory. (I'm currently running a 2GB partition and I have over 1.5GB of "internal" memory free - and I still have loads of junk installed that I almost never use. I have so much memory available that I'm getting sloppy about removing stuff I don't need.)

Upvote 0
Much easier way - install the AreaROM Gingerbread ROM and (if you format the SD card properly) it'll use the card as internal memory. You don't do anything - just install apps and they'll physically be on the SD card, giving you a lot more memory. (I'm currently running a 2GB partition and I have over 1.5GB of "internal" memory free - and I still have loads of junk installed that I almost never use. I have so much memory available that I'm getting sloppy about removing stuff I don't need.)

Hello? How in the heck do us newbies install a ROM? Format a card?
Root?

Easy for you, maybe.

Upvote 0
Root?

Easy for you, maybe.
There are full instructions on the AreaROM forum. If that's not enough for you, they maintain a chat server (linked from the forum if you don't have a chat program). You can go there and ask someone for help and they'll lead you step by step.

Reactions: sleedeane
Upvote 0
Root?

Easy for you, maybe.

Sleedeane its realy easy to do a Odin root + to root your phone and once that is done you can add A new rom or even flash a new kernal. If u do choose to stray from this forum to Android Area 51 (iMhO) is a great place full of very helpful members and Staff that are willing to help out with any and all types of issues. Just take your time and do a lot of reading,ask a lot of questions cause a bricked phone will do u no good.
..AzHavicx G.M AA51

Upvote 0
Sleedeane its realy easy to do a Odin root + to root your phone and once that is done you can add A new rom or even flash a new kernal. If u do choose to stray from this forum to Android Area 51 (iMhO) is a great place full of very helpful members and Staff that are willing to help out with any and all types of issues. Just take your time and do a lot of reading,ask a lot of questions cause a bricked phone will do u no good.
..AzHavicx G.M AA51

I need a computer. I want one so bad, for nothing else but to learn Android. I'm frustrated that I can only respond to about one percent of the threads in this forum; the other 99% of the content is way over my head.
What good does it to do to read, read, read, which I do, when I can't apply it to anything?
You're probably wondering why I don't borrow a computer. Because I don't know anybody that has one.
All (2) of my friends wouldn't know how to open the box the computer came in, so they don't have one.
I'm the only one in my clique that is interested, no, all consumed by, anything electronic.
As a matter of fact, I'm losing what few friends I have because they don't understand my fascination with these things.
I feel low, lowly, and unworthy because I don't understand so much about Android. Like a virgin, that wants something so bad, but isn't sure how to get it.

I won't understand until I do my part and get a pc.
You guys are so awesome the way you give your time to get people on their way to their new life in Android.

I don't know of any place else that can do what this place does. Better than a college education.

I have my moments, when I feel like I'm part of one big happy family. And every other problem I have in life just goes away as long as I stay here.
But then I realize I don't belong. I don't know enough to infer myself in as a member of the "family".
Like the cat-log thing.
I can't fit in when I don't get it.
And it really, really bothers me.

:mad:

Upvote 0
I can't fit in when I don't get it.
And it really, really bothers me.

:mad:

Hey,don't let it bother you,u might not understand a lot now, but u will if you want to, and it sounds to me you really have a interest in it. And on the p/c thing. Is there any place where u live that u could rent One. (Arrons, color-time, new avenues etc.) Or heck check out the pawn shops, some one else's loss can be your gain and still be a good cheap machine.
Also what ever u don't understand just ask. Here or on androidarea51 . We all are willin to help.

AzHavicx G.M AA51 :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones