1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Newbie with a dream! (long post, sorry)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by StereoInstaller1, Jun 8, 2011.

1. StereoInstaller1

None

Sep 24, 2010
    I finally joined the Android revolution. I picked up an EVO4G yesterday.

Best Buy in Portland, Oregon had it for $99, and threw in a Powermat charger.

Stock Gingerbread, the update happened while setting up the phone, in the store.

I am not interested in rooting, or any other non-stock goodies if I can help it, but I do want something kind of unusual: I want a 10" touch screen in the middle of my dashboard.

Hopefully, this one: Amazon.com: Lilliput 10.1" Fa1011-np/c/t VGA LED Touch Monitor with Hdmi&dvi Input: Electronics

Or this: Model? FA1046-NP/C/T - LILLIPUT.

As you can likely guess by my screen name, I am a car stereo installer. I have been a pro since 1980, a serious old-schooler. I can handle whatever mods the thing needs, but again, would rather not.

What I would like is to be able to plug in the HDMI and the USB, and with FullHDMI, get the picture on the screen and use the touch screen to control my phone.

I ASSUME (and we all know the power of assume, right?) I can use the USB port on my phone to run the touch screen, but does anyone know for certain?

Does anyone know where I will need to get audio output from? Seems FullHDMI routes all audio through the HDMI port, which would be fine of the monitor has an output, but I cannot find a manual. I may have to get crafty on that front.

Obviously I will need to figure out a method of charging, I (again) assume I will simply plug into a powered USB hub, unless the monitor charges the phone too. I will be making my own cradle, something all cool and such that allows a quick and easy plug in for both USB and HDMI. I am also aware that I will no longer be able to use the powermat charger, but I think the trade-off is worth it.

Basically, I want my phone to be 100% duplicated on this screen. I can then make and receive calls, text and email, plus have full navigation in a completely seamless setup. Of course, I plan on downloading a music player that fits my needs if I must.

Audio will go either from the monitor or the phone into a pre-amp (AudioControl Three.1) into my current amplifiers, subwoofer and speakers.

If/when this happens, I promise all kinds of pictures and such. My little BMW was totalled last week, so I get to put together a new one and would like to build this into the new dash I will be building for it.

So, please be kind to a dumb old grandpa and help me build the coolest phone into my car!

Thanks!

Luke Fisher
    German Audio Specialties

Advertisement

2. devinEVO

devinEVO Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Self Employed
    S.E. OK
    This sounds like a great idea man. i also am a car audio/video install tech. i have done something like this before for an iphone user but used a bluetooth interface to control the phone over the external screen. the bluetooth ran through a nice clarion unit we cramed in the dash with a 7.1 pop out screen that could control the music, calls, and text. however it did not display the actual screen. i would like something like this to work as well. ill do some reasearch on this subject and report back my findings!

3. StereoInstaller1

None

Sep 24, 2010
    Doesn't it seem like this phone has basically all you would ever need in a media/communications/entertainment world?

I don't know about you guys, but a "Double DIN" is just not big enough a screen for my poor old eyeballs and LED would be nice.

I do want 100% touchscreen no matter what. No mice in my car, please!

Luke

4. devinEVO

May 19, 2011
    Self Employed
    S.E. OK
    your right. double din is old news for alot of newbie tech and alot of then rarely even know what it is. but in personal opinion it was great some years back. but for what it is and the simplicity of double din is just way to bulky of a package when you can essentially do the same with a phone and touch panel like your suggesting.

im behind you 100% on this idea and i am still researching/looking up wiring diagram/app posibilitys that would push this kind of software to the led display.

StereoInstaller1 likes this.
  5. StereoInstaller1

None

Sep 24, 2010
    I now have the owners manual of that screen. It has an audio out, but no mention of it having a D to A converter...but I ASSUME it does, as it has an HDMI in and onboard speakers.

I hope to find some HDCP compliant gizmo somewhere that lets by EVO play 192K/24 bit/SACD/DVDA files through the HDMI out...would that be cool or what!

10" touchscreen phone with high performance audio FTW!

6. StereoInstaller1

None

Sep 24, 2010
  7. devinEVO

May 19, 2011
    Self Employed
    S.E. OK
    man thats awesome. that solves the stereo audio problem. now the screen you have chosen.... im not sure it will work. you will need something small but not too small with hdmi and usb support to push the touch functions of the phone... ive had this working on windows applications obviously... but it seems that nothing like this exist for android... sounds like its time for some developers to get to work and see what the obsticals are!

8. StereoInstaller1

None

Sep 24, 2010
    I am building an entirely new dashboard for the car, so I can fit as big as I want, basically.

I haz skillz, yo.

They do make a 7" version, but I will do a 10".

All I need now is the ability to add HID to my stock ROM.

I will be jumping on that screen next month, the HDMI audio stripper too.

I am hoping I can add this functionality at that point. I am going to contact the developers of FullHD, see if they have an idea.

Think good thoughts!

Luke

Tags: