1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Newbie with an alarm and questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by livefreebee, Jan 29, 2010.

1. livefreebee

livefreebee Active Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey everyone! This is my first post. I have been lurking around here as a non-poster sucking up all the information I could about preserving my Eris's battery life, tips and tricks, and of course the mysterious upgrade to 2.0/2.1.

This is my first smartphone and I am in love with it. There are just a couple things that I'm not sure if it's "user error" or if it's my phone.

Firstly, the alarm clock! I do use advanced task killer, and thought that maybe the alarm wasn't going off because I was killing the clock app. I tried unchecking the clock and keeping it running; my alarm did not go off. I've been trying to master it for about a week, and it's only gone off twice, and both times (I believe) it was plugged into the charger. I know from the battery lessons that I don't need to be charging it all night if it's not low on battery.

Yesterday I rebooted (not sure if it's the right term-- turned it off and on lol) my phone, and when I was texting my keys were making funny noises. I had never had that happen before. I'm sure this is something minor, but where exactly is the control for that? I have looked in Settings and Spare Parts, but haven't found it. Sometimes I think this phone is TOO smart, because things will be seemingly hidden from me :)

My husband originally got a Storm 2 and wound up returning it for an Eris (after he saw all the awesome things the Eris offers that the Storm doesn't!) I have had more time to play with mine and personalize it; I had spent a good couple days browsing the battery tips and tweaking my phone. I had tried to do the same for his, but his awake time is over 50% and his battery is always dying. I'm trying to get him to drain/recharge his battery for 3 days but he's a stubborn guy. Short of that, do you think there's anything I'm missing? He has a task killer, toggles for wifi/gps/etc, switched to ChompSMS rather than the native msg... Any advice?

And I just want to thank everyone for all your knowledge! This forum has been invaluable in learning how to use the Eris to its full potential!

Advertisement

2. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Answers in bold.

3. livefreebee

Jan 29, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    How do you function without a task killer?? I didn't have it for the first week I had my phone, and my phone was dead in a matter of a few short hours. Granted, I understand the phone a lot better now, but I just can't imagine that the battery life would be sustainable.

4. Aelhues

Aelhues Active Member

Jan 8, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have advanced task killer installed, but rarely use it. If you are having issues with battery life being that short, you should take a look at the thread about battery or resource hog apps (I forget the title). Also, there is a thread on here about task killers, and why they aren't important, and are possibly a hindrance to a phone running smooth, and the battery lasting well. I'm not convinced that a task killer isn't occasionally useful, but I wouldn't want one running in the background, nor would I want to use it frequently.

5. livefreebee

Jan 29, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I've literally read the entire 9 page thread on the battery. MY battery is fine, it's my husband's that's the issue. I had been convinced that draining/recharging my battery helped, but I am not sure after re-reading that thread. I'll just make him read that thread and figure it out himself:)

I'll have to further investigate the Task Killer debate...but I am burnt out now.

Thanks for the advice!