• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

StageMe

Lurker
Oct 16, 2010
Hey guys I am new to the site as the title says and new to android based phones. My wife and I just switched over from the IPhone and do seem to enjoy the switch. I have been taking a look around on this site and it looks like there is alot of cool stuff you can do with these phones. I was wondering if you guys could give me a list of the must do's with this phone and even links with step by step directions. I am not real good with computer stuff but not horrible either. I just want to make sure that whatever I do isnt going to turn my phone into a brick when it tries to update. Thanks in advance for any help you guys are willing to give. I look forward to learning about this phone and the things you can do with it.

first of all, congrats on ditching the iphone for android! As for what you can do with this phone and android in general, theres a lot.

First and foremost with anything involving rooting/modifying your phone there is risk involved. Even when you think you know a lot, you can encounter hours of frustration when you make a mistake (like I did yesterday). But unless you do something completely crazy like ignore a warning that is posted 10 x in a row about something, then its very hard to "totally" brick your phone.

My advice is read through the threads very thoroughly in this root section, and over at xda forums. They ll tell you what is possible, and you can read what people have done wrong in executing those things, ie custom kernels, roms, partitions and avoid them or anticipate them ahead of time.

The people on both of these forums are great and eager to help.

Reactions: StageMe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones