• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

colder618

Lurker
Oct 23, 2010
Hello all! I've had the SF for a couple weeks now and love the phone. Previously had the BB storm. Been checkin out the forum here and have a few questions.
1. What is the point of rooting the phone?
a. Does it void any warranties from Samsung or Verizon?
2. How many problems have people had with rooting their phones and how serious have the problems been.
3. What is the advantage of overclocking the phone.

Again, I am new to this stuff so bear with me.

Thanks

I'm a bit of a newb myself, but I think I have a decent understanding of this stuff.

1) Rooting your phone essentially means you have access to settings that you usually don't. For example, you can remove programs Verizon loaded on the phone that you otherwise couldn't remove w/out rooting.

2) I'm sure if you damaged your phone doing this, Verizon nor Samsung would replace it for you

3) It looks like rooting this phone is rather simple and pretty difficult to mess up.

4) Overclocking = faster speeds. Less lag. You can also turn down the voltage going to the CPU and increase battery life and whatnot.

If any of that is wrong, feel free to correct me :) I won't take it personally

Upvote 0
I'm a bit of a newb myself, but I think I have a decent understanding of this stuff.

1) Rooting your phone essentially means you have access to settings that you usually don't. For example, you can remove programs Verizon loaded on the phone that you otherwise couldn't remove w/out rooting.

2) I'm sure if you damaged your phone doing this, Verizon nor Samsung would replace it for you

3) It looks like rooting this phone is rather simple and pretty difficult to mess up.

4) Overclocking = faster speeds. Less lag. You can also turn down the voltage going to the CPU and increase battery life and whatnot.

If any of that is wrong, feel free to correct me :) I won't take it personally

1) the big one for a lot of people is wireless tether and (for me) adfree-removes all ads from browser and games

2) rooting voids your warranty, plain and simple. that doesnt mean if you screw up your phone rooting/roming that you can get verizon to replace it (many have) but if they detect the evidence of either when they are checking it out, you may find a nasty $600 charge on your vzw account

3) straight rooting the phone is not complicated, just involves having the correct drivers installed and running the root program (it may take 2 attempts) custom recovery/overclock etc etc is when problems tend to occur.

4)yeah that pretty much sums it up on oc

check out friscos stickied thread above. it links to all the root/recovery threads

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I guess my question is how many people have been unsuccessful and have had to return their phones. just airing on the side of caution before i do anything.

you really have to screw to make your phone unrecoverable. the big thing would be when using odin flashing anything to "phone" instead of "pda". read everything over many, many times and take it slow on everythign you do :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones