• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I used this app to root, but it looks like z4root is made by the same person. I bet it would work just great.

You should definitely root. There really isn't a reason not to.

This guide is a great help for getting started with your Captivate. Tells you how to root (although that really isn't necessary with all these apps that do it for you), how to enable side-loading of apps (let me know if you want more clarification on what this means), cool tips and tricks (like did you know that swiping left/right in the notification bar changes the screen brightness?) and other cool stuff.

Reactions: kidmjf
Upvote 0
thanks for the info... does that app actually root the phone without having to do a bunch of steps?? i don't really know that much about rooting, so i don't want to mess the phone up. i do know about the side-loading of apps (can we do that on this phone?). oh, and thanks for the link to the guide - lot's of info!!!!!

Upvote 0
When you install that app, it will have a little tutorial that will tell you how to do everything.

Basically, it will have a button that says "Root Device Recovery 2e." Click on this button, and it will put a file on your SD card, then restart your phone in recovery mode, at which point you just press volume down until "Re-install packages" is selected. Then you press your power button... then it will do its magic, then you just hit volume-up until "Reboot now" is highlighted, and press power again. And boom, you're rooted.

There's also a similar button to unroot your phone. It is really foolproof, so don't worry.

AT&T blocks side-loading of apps. Really dumb, if you ask me. It's pretty easy to enable sideloading after you root your phone (check out that guide, there are step by step instructions). If you don't want to go through the hassle of enabling this, you can always use the Sideload Wonder Machine without having to do anything to your phone (not even rooting).

Upvote 0
You should definitely root. There really isn't a reason not to.

Sure there are.

Rooting isn't for everyone, isn't necessary, and can have risks. It shouldn't be done just because "everyone else is doing it".

For more information, the Captivate FAQ is always a good start:

Root - CapFAQ

Reactions: kidmjf and Buddha64
Upvote 0
Sure there are.

Rooting isn't for everyone, isn't necessary, and can have risks. It shouldn't be done just because "everyone else is doing it".

For more information, the Captivate FAQ is always a good start:

Root - CapFAQ

Sorry; there are a couple of reasons to not root, but the reasons TO root definitely outweigh the reasons not to, especially with the tools that people have made that make it very easy and fool proof.

Basically, if you're not at all tech-savvy, don't root. Otherwise, if you want access to some really nice applications (like Titanium Backup, ShootMe, etc.) and much more control over your phone, you should root.

Upvote 0
Sorry; there are a couple of reasons to not root, but the reasons TO root definitely outweigh the reasons not to, especially with the tools that people have made that make it very easy and fool proof.

The process of rooting isn't the problem. It's the risks of opening up all parts of your phone to full access which can cause unexpected negative consequences. The links on that page outline some of them.

Giving all programs access to your unencrypted passwords is not something a person might want to do casually. Nor is risking an app or user accidentally modifying/deleting a critical system file, bricking the phone.

I realize some very useful apps require root (like screenshots and backups) and I use them myself. But I know the risks and everyone who considers rooting should be fully educated about it. Unfortunately 99% of the time, full disclosure doesn't happen and people root without having any idea of the risks or even why they might want to root.

Upvote 0
as I've said before, no reason to root the phone unless you really want to. Its not hard to do but it can (and will?) bring some baggage with it. Please, whatever you decide to, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Do not root the phone without understanding what you are possibly doing to your phone.

Yeah. It's just as easy to un-root as it is to root.
disclaimer: unrooting will not return it to stock state so easily.

Reactions: kidmjf
Upvote 0
as I've said before, no reason to root the phone unless you really want to. Its not hard to do but it can (and will?) bring some baggage with it. Please, whatever you decide to, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Do not root the phone without understanding what you are possibly doing to your phone.

disclaimer: unrooting will not return it to stock state so easily.

True. If you root, mess around with system files, or install some app that does, and then un-root, it won't magically fix all the things you've messed around with.

As others have said, do your homework, understand the risks. I personally am very happy that I have rooted. I'm careful when I install applications that require root or do anything that I couldn't do with an unrooted phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones