1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newby Qs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Meh, May 18, 2011.

1. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Just rooted (yay) and flashed GingerVillain (more yay) and am loving the fresh feel it's given my phone.

Just a few quick questions (sorry if they are dumb).

Do I need to keep the zip on my SD card or can I format the card now?

What happens if I do a full reset (rather than recovery)? Does it revert back to Sense or is Sense completely gone? Will it revert back to a fresh GingerVillain install (even if the zip is deleted)?

I have the WWE RUU on my hard drive. If I run this does it completely overwrite the custom ROM and unroot the handset?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You can remove the zip if you want. You only need it if you want to reflash the ROM.

Why do you want to format the card?
    If you mean a factory reset, that will wipe all user apps and data, but not the /system partition where the ROM lives. So you get a clean GingerVillain install.

Sense is completely gone - that was in the system partition, which was completely overwritten when you installed GV.

Yes. Run that and you get back an unrooted, clean HTC software install. It also wipes all user data and apps, same as a factory reset.

Meh likes this.
  3. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member

Brilliant, thanks for the quick and clear answers!

I don't really want to format the sd card as such, was more asking if I could with no impact on the install or recovery.

Cheers.

4. Hadron

VIP Member

Formatting the card won't affect install or recovery, both of which are in the phone rather than on the card. But any backups you make, either Titanium or nandroid, are on the card, so make sure you copy them to safety first.

5. Hadron

VIP Member

Oh, while I think of it: GingerVillain comes with an app called ROM Manager. Don't use it!

All of this stuff (installing ROMs and mods, nandroid backups, etc) can be done by booting into recovery (see the FAQs), and it's more reliable than using that app.

6. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

better still use titanium backup to uninstall it and if you dont have s-off enable chucknoris mode

Hadron likes this.
  7. Hadron

VIP Member

I've never used that one (being S-Off I just uninstall it).

You can also "freeze" it with Ti, after which it's no longer visible in the app drawer.

8. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. Have already caught the bug and have already tried Oxygen also. Actually prefer it slightly as GV has a lot of bits I don't want. I like the stripped down feel of Oxygen. Will prob change again before too long, trying out all the options :)

9. Hadron

VIP Member

Well if that's the way you taste lies, give Redux a spin too: also very stripped down, but had enough that I'd be perfectly happy to use it (I did for 4-5 days recently, to give it a proper spin). Has a lot of fans here at the moment.

10. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member

Will check it out over the wknd. Thanks for the pointer.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews