• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newby - syncing, battery .. help!

Lesleyta

Lurker
Feb 22, 2011
Hi all

I'm new to android/HTC, being a blackberry then a Iphone user. I get bored easily with my gadgets so have moved onto the HTC Desire, and loving it so far.

My one big problem, is the battery life ... now I've read lots about this and appreciate my battery life will increase after i've had the phone more than 5 days, but at the moment, it only lasts a few hours, which can't be right.

Whilst at work, i have no access to a wifi connection, so turn that off. I've turned off syncing on all my apps - facebook, weather etc etc, all except mail on my gmail app as I want to recieve notifications of mail when they arrive. Butafter unplugging the phone at around 6.15 am, then using th phone for a couple of texts, a couple of checks of facebook, it dies around 1pm.

Looking at my phone whilst at work, the arrows under the 'E' symbol are curently moving up and down, is this because it's looking for gmail all the time? I guess this is killing the battery??

I tried setting up push, and turning off the sync on the gmail app, but the arrows still constantly moved.

I also read the phone may be looking for 2g/3g all the time ... not sure what that means though :D

Hope someone can help :)

L

Thanks Lector

What does putting it on GSM only mean? No internet - i.e. no gmail? .... and how would I do that?

I've seen a different post about charging in a certain way which will extend the battery - so trying that now :)
GSM is just a slower connection speed, everything will still work.

Go into Setting, Wireless & networks then Mobile networks and then Network mode.

Reactions: Lesleyta
Upvote 0
Reactions: Lesleyta
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones