1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Newcomer desperately in need of Android Help!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Exumab, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Exumab

HI!
    I am a newcomer to the Android phone and I really need help understanding this. I purchased the [FONT=&quot]Star A3 - 4 Inch Capacitive Touch Screen WiFi GPS Dual SIM Android Phone as posted on androidsales.com. It arrived with a manual in Chinese and there is no English one so I am figuring things out as best I can and have done pretty well; phone up an running for calls. I have no internet service as I use a prepaid sim card for the moment. My problem is this: There appears to be NO SD card slot at all anywhere on this phone. I've searched everywhere and carefully. Although the information on it says there is.
    The "Storage" info in the menu asks you to insert sd card.
    Storage Settings Read:
    SD Card
    Total Space: Unavailable
    Available Space: Unavailable
    Mount SD Card : Insert a card for mounting
    Erase SD Card:
    Internal Storage: Available space 137 MB

There appears to be NO support whatsoever for this phone online and the people at androidsales.com only speak Chinese. I managed a few lines of communication, enough to learn this. If anyone can offer any helpful information I really would be extremely grateful. This has been a nightmare trying to find help and wondering if there is a simple explanation for this. The only two slots in this phone are the GSM Sim Slot and the WCDMA Slot, side by side....That's it!
    Unless it is extremely well hidden.
    Here are the specs. Hope they are of help.
    [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Manufacturer: STAR[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Model: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]STAR A3[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Phone Style: Bar, multi-touch screen, 4 inch Capacitive touchscreen[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Operating System: Android 2.3 OS[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Processor: MTK MT6573[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Display :[/FONT] Display resolution: HVGA screen, 800*480Color Support: 16 million colors [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Screen Size: 4" touchscreen Screen Technology: Multi-touch screen [FONT=&quot]Camera Resulotion: 5MP back camera + 1.3MP front camera, digital zoom[/FONT]Connectivity Technology: GSM + WCDMANetwork Band: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz + WCDMA 850/2100MHzData Technology: EDGE, GPRS Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR WLan: Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g USB: USB 2.0 [FONT=&quot]GPS: GPS/A-GPS (Built-in GPS chipset)[/FONT]Battery: Li-on battery ( 2 batteries design, 2800mAh) Standby Time: 150-200 hours [FONT=&quot]Built-in Memory: 512[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MB ROM / 256MB RAM, [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Memory Card: Support microSD/microSDHC memory card, up to 32GB, support App2SD[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]MANY thanks for any assistance.
    [/FONT]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

3. Exumab

BINGO!
    I was under the misconception that when they say dual Sims, that each sim card has it's own slot. Thus I thought that both of these were for the sim cards. Now I'm wondering if at some point I wanted to use two sim cards while traveling, does that mean I would remove the sd card? Anyway, I cannot thank you enough. I put the sd card in there and it is working fine.
    Final question: Do you know of any books or manuals ie. Androids for Dummies that you would care to recommend so that I can get myself well oriented as I set off on this technological adventure?

All the Best!!! And thanks again! You certainly made my day!

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Glad to be of service :)

All I know about this phone is that photo, which looks like it has slots for 2 SIMs next to each other (at different "depths", one next to the microSD slot and one "below" it), so I'd think you could have both in at the same time, but you can see much more clearly than me.

TBH I've never read a book on android - just browsed forums (particularly this one) and poked about myself. But maybe someone else will have some suggestions.

5. admob

admob Well-Known Member

there a great mag u can buy called' everything u need to know about android', about 4 pounds at newsagents. goes thru everything in simple detail, ideal for the newbie....

6. DavidStarA3

DavidStarA3 Newbie

Hi Exumab,

Am hesitant to jump straight in since I only just joined the forum, but I can confirm Hadron's guidance is bang on.

The second SIMM slot is directly below the Micro SD slot. Just drop the SIMM on the drawn symbol, pointing the same way as drawn and slide it home. The SIMM clicks into place like SD cards often do. Equally, push it again to have it unclick and pop out. I use the other SIMM to push it in and out. I have two SIMM's and a Micro SD card in mine. All worked perfectly for a few days but I am getting a problem I will post separate to this.

Cheers,

David

Hadron likes this.
  7. DavidStarA3

DavidStarA3 Newbie

Oh, rudeword!!! Only looked at the date of Exumab's question after I hit the submit button... Grrr. I will hesitate a bit longer next time. D. :)