• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newer leaked 2.2 rom posted at XDA?

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Posts imply a 8/1 build version, but XDA has kind have become scattered about updates, so it is hard to tell what is what. Seems to be some level of information error, since OP's are calling it an "OTA", which by common definition would be wrong, unless it is intended to be published, has the radio firmware and does not need root to install.

I need a mental compass for XDA's Inc threads. My brain must be slipping.

Still not sure what to make of this reported newer rom leak.

The older ota leak was a build from 7/3 this one is from 8/1 or something. so its a newer build but still has no radio so i am patiently awaiting the official update that contains the radio and everything.

If correct and we were "supposed" to get an OTA starting on 8/6, a non-radio, still buggy (but apparently less) 8/1 build suggests there is no way in heck 8/6 is happening and my estimate of September is still the most likely release time.

Looks like AndroidSPIN may soon join MW's emphatic post lore, since 8/6 is approaching ;)

FWIW, I am no better for it, since I am emphatic about September, but at least that gives me a month of wiggle room :)

Oh yeah, in regards to your icon, the Prince episode of the DC show is second only to the Rick James one. Funniest TV show episode- ever, IMO.

Upvote 0
Besides, why would they make a build on a Sunday?

The radio missing could just mean they're using the same radio, no big deal.
Most, if not all, of the bugs in the first leak have supposedly been fixed in this leak. So this could actually be getting closer to the real deal.

I, for one, don't care, lol.. I'm using Adryn's Evo ROM port and loving it :D

Upvote 0
Starting to join rushmore on this now. Monday is news day and this recent info from verizon about moto one and now the most recent info about moto two doesn't make me very optimistic at all about incredible getting froyo til september now.

This just in, I just asked the magic eight ball app if we would get froyo this week and the response was, "without a doubt".
Rushmore I have to have something to hold onto. :)

Upvote 0
Speaking just from past experience, I find it telling that 2.1 leaks for previous phones seemed to be leaks of the actual pending release.

The fact that the 2 leaks we have seen for the Incredible are ROM's that require root sort of affirm Rushmore's theory about September or possibly even later.

It at least looks as though either they are keeping the "official installable" versions under much tighter wraps this time around or we are further away than we thought.

Upvote 0
Speaking just from past experience, I find it telling that 2.1 leaks for previous phones seemed to be leaks of the actual pending release.

The fact that the 2 leaks we have seen for the Incredible are ROM's that require root sort of affirm Rushmore's theory about September or possibly even later.

It at least looks as though either they are keeping the "official installable" versions under much tighter wraps this time around or we are further away than we thought.

I don't know about the cell phone world, but i remember in the computer world, no leak was "unintentional". ATI and nVidia would constantly have driver "leaks" getting public, with hardcore users snapping them up and then talking about the problems/issues. Then, a week/month later, a new build would leak that seems to fix exactly what the community would talk about.

I have no doubt at all that these leaks are intentional, and that VZ/HTC is eagerly awaiting community feedback. I mean.. first the radio patch leaks, and then withing a short time, the 2.2 lacking the radio leaks.. not a coincidence in my book. We are the testers this time...

Upvote 0
I don't know about the cell phone world, but i remember in the computer world, no leak was "unintentional". ATI and nVidia would constantly have driver "leaks" getting public, with hardcore users snapping them up and then talking about the problems/issues. Then, a week/month later, a new build would leak that seems to fix exactly what the community would talk about.

I have no doubt at all that these leaks are intentional, and that VZ/HTC is eagerly awaiting community feedback. I mean.. first the radio patch leaks, and then withing a short time, the 2.2 lacking the radio leaks.. not a coincidence in my book. We are the testers this time...

Oh I agree! ;)

I tend to not voice my opinion on that aspect of it though because it always seems to divide the forum members to "those who believe it" and "those who don't".

Usually the ones who don't believe it call the ones who do conspiracy theorists (like we are comparing it to the Kennedy assassination or something:rolleyes:). My company has a Beta testers program for new firmware because we used to "leak it" and it caused problems. It definitely goes on!

Upvote 0
Oh I agree! ;)

I tend to not voice my opinion on that aspect of it though because it always seems to divide the forum members to "those who believe it" and "those who don't".

Usually the ones who don't believe it call the ones who do conspiracy theorists (like we are comparing it to the Kennedy assassination or something:rolleyes:). My company has a Beta testers program for new firmware because we used to "leak it" and it caused problems. It definitely goes on!

I mean seriously, what better way to test your stuff out than to let people get a hold of it, read the forums, and NOT have to fix the problems right away because they aren't supposed to have it.

OliFram Stone out!

Upvote 0
I think everyone that has posted so far may be more correct than they want to be- except FramCire: that would take a SERIOUS exponential forecast curve to come to those three results ;) :)

Points all being, no tangible evidence that Froyo will be published in August. If HTC devs are using rooters as surrogate testers via a "leak", even that will require feedback and time.

added:

If this is simply a recent and newer leak, it blows holes in assumptions that Aug 6 or August at all is likely. No radio firmware with a recent leak that is planned soon for release?? Not very likely. If anything, the information we have now refutes August as a release date- IMO. At the least, Aug 6 is dead in the water and AndroidSPIN can now join the Burn Notice club. Live by emphatic posts and their "publicity", be dissed by emphatic posts as well. Risk is part of it :)

Reactions: Guntherm
Upvote 0
i agree there is a certain amount of leaks coming out on purpose. and there is nothing wrong with that. the power user community are better quality control testers than htc or verizon internal staff, because they actually USE their phone for real life stuff.

one the other side though i also wonder about HTC's ability to push that much. i read in the leaked document for the evo 2.2 upgrade that the file was actually coming off HTC servers. even if they have huge bandwidth you are still talking about hundres of thousands if not a million phones pulling a few hundred meg file. point being that HTC may not have the infastructure to do reliably do more than one at a time which means the evo upgrade must be complete before they could host up the incredible. personally i guess (pure BS guess no info here) we see it in late august a week or so after the droid 2.

Upvote 0
one the other side though i also wonder about HTC's ability to push that much. i read in the leaked document for the evo 2.2 upgrade that the file was actually coming off HTC servers. even if they have huge bandwidth you are still talking about hundres of thousands if not a million phones pulling a few hundred meg file. point being that HTC may not have the infastructure to do reliably do more than one at a time which means the evo upgrade must be complete before they could host up the incredible. personally i guess (pure BS guess no info here) we see it in late august a week or so after the droid 2.

It's not going to take more than a week to push out the EVO update. And with a batched release, they can limit the bandwidth needed.

Upvote 0
I think everyone that has posted so far may be more correct than they want to be- except FramCire: that would take a SERIOUS exponential forecast curve to come to those three results ;) :)

Points all being, no tangible evidence that Froyo will be published in August. If HTC devs are using rooters as surrogate testers via a "leak", even that will require feedback and time.

added:

If this is simply a recent and newer leak, it blows holes in assumptions that Aug 6 or August at all is likely. No radio firmware with a recent leak that is planned soon for release?? Not very likely. If anything, the information we have now refutes August as a release date- IMO. At the least, Aug 6 is dead in the water and AndroidSPIN can now join the Burn Notice club. Live by emphatic posts and their "publicity", be dissed by emphatic posts as well. Risk is part of it :)

OK I think we get that you dont think August is an accurate release date. Its getting a bit annoying re-reading that. Sorry.

But I find it hard to believe that HTC or Verizon would intentionally "leak" the update if it required you to void your warranty by rooting. I dont think they would promote such behavior.

Upvote 0
OK I think we get that you dont think August is an accurate release date. Its getting a bit annoying re-reading that. Sorry.

But I find it hard to believe that HTC or Verizon would intentionally "leak" the update if it required you to void your warranty by rooting. I dont think they would promote such behavior.

1. It is only getting annoying because it looks more and more true.

2. What exactly is the problem for HTC/VZW if people void their warranties? Seems like a win/win for them.

Upvote 0
Well, considering that the EVO is getting updated this week, then I have no doubt that HTC is ready with the Incredible update. I think Verizon is just waiting. Droid, then Droid 2 launch, and then Droid X or Incredible. I don't really care about the leaks because some version of 2.2 w/Sense is ready due to the EVO's impending update.

Upvote 0

This is what I tend to agree with...in my opinion, an "intentional leak" that requires root is less likely than an intentional leak that is "installable" over the existing firmware.

Of course I could be completely wrong!! :D

Upvote 0

After all of the (even at the time) dubious "confirmed" posts and and other posts and blog media saying mid July, late July, then August 6th etc, I annoy you following up and pointing out that the evidence we have does not add up?

Hmmm, I guess my posts do kind of have an unintended "I told you so" vibe to them now. I accept your being annoyed post with compassion. Truth can suck, since I too hoped there was a Dumb & Dumber million in one chance that we would get the update by early August.

Still a chance for August, since a lot of days in August :)

We need MW and AndroidSPIN to join confirmational forces, but somehow I do not think they will trust their sources anymore. Well, MW will not, but me thinks SPIN's motives were more by design ;)

I target September so anything earlier is a bonus.

Upvote 0

The file will not be a few hundred meg. The official OTA update from 1.5 to 2.1 one the Eris was 77mb (the leaks were a little over 100mb) and that was a big update.

Maybe someone who installed the ROM can give us an idea of the file size? My guess is it won't be a big difference to the actual OTA when it comes. might be the same as the 1.5 to 2.1 jump!?!?

Upvote 0
Well, considering that the EVO is getting updated this week, then I have no doubt that HTC is ready with the Incredible update. I think Verizon is just waiting. Droid, then Droid 2 launch, and then Droid X or Incredible. I don't really care about the leaks because some version of 2.2 w/Sense is ready due to the EVO's impending update.

I don't think they're sitting on it. They probably don't want to lose any Froyo thunder. I'm sure it's still working its way through Verizon's tight QA. Unlike Sprint which will release whatever the OEM gives them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones