1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Newest FW for G1 to root?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by XFreeRollerX, Jul 5, 2009.

1. XFreeRollerX

XFreeRollerX Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I want to root my Tmobile G1... I currently have Firmware 1.5, all I keep finding for rooting phones is RC33.... isn't that old?

Anyone able to help out? I just need the right update files and I can do the root.. I've got everything else from this guide

Advertisement

2. it is a step by step process you can not go straight from RC29 to firmware 1.5 AKA cupcake... so you need to go RC29 > RC33 > Cupcake... and if you are looking for builds you can get just about any build you want here : Android Build Downloads I personally would recommend either Devolio's build or CM 3.6.2

3. XFreeRollerX

XFreeRollerX Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Thanks I tested 3 different builds and I really love the CM one - dear god the UI tweaks are so nice, I accidentally went back to a JF build via JFupdater and was like "LOLOMG this ugly"

Thanks, +rep for u

4. No Worries...

5. crazy88

crazy88 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Thanks for the link to the android builds noonehereyet. Just one question though, is it a simple case (as per usual) of putting the file on my sd card and renaming it update.zip? I have jf1.51 and i'm getting bored with it :)

6. ok, with any build you will need to change the file name to update.zip and do the alt+s, however if you are going from a jf build to a cm build or a cm build to thedude's build... basically changing builds made by different people you will most likely need to alt+w prior to the alt+s or you will get stuck so backup your info best to do is use cyanogen's recovery ( http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/cm-recovery-1.3.1.img ) as you can do a complete back-up and restore (nandroid)... then back up your apps with something like mybackup pro and then flash away without any worries......

to install Cyanogen's recovery:

copy file to your sd card and then type in terminal :
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-recovery-1.3.1.img

or

put it on your computer and use fastboot, the command would be :
    (Windows) fastboot flash recovery cm-recovery-1.3.1.img
    (Linux) sudo ./fastboot flash recovery cm-recovery-1.3.1.img