• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newish T-MO user...where's the value??

cvam1985

Dec 8, 2009
So I switched to T-Mo for the Nexus S a while back. I'm on the "promo limited time" $79.99 plan, which is unlimited text and data plus 1500 minutes.

It's an ok deal I suppose, but without "MyFaves" - what's the perk or great value everyone seems to talk about with T-Mobile? Am I missing a feature?

I am a heavy talker and by the end of the month I'm pretty close to my 1500 minutes. If there was a MyFaves-esque feature I'd be just fine since I spend most of my time with one person (who's on Sprint)

The way I see it for the same price I can get AT&T or Sprint with only 500 minutes, but AT&T now has unlimited M2M as does Sprint.

Sprint = Unlimited M2M
AT&T = Unlimited M2M+Roll-over minutes
Verizon = Rock-solid network
Tmo = ....?

The "value" could be found in the "Even More Plus" or "no-contract plans". I'm also paying $79/mo. however I have unlimited minutes (land line and mobile), data, & text...and that's only because I decided to get an Android phone (and subsequent Android data plan). I was paying only $59/mo. for Unlimited minutes and unlimited data, as data plan only cost $10/mo using my Nokia N900 (applicable to any other "non-T-Mobile" smartphone).

"Value" could also be found in the data rates given the $10/mo data plan. I was seeing speed tests between 7Mbs-8Mbs on that web2go plan. It don't know of any other US-based carrier offering that.

Also, T-Mo added the $10/mo international plan, which uses minutes for international calls. So if you have 1500 minute plan, one uses the "minutes" to call internationally...there are no additional calls. If on an unlimited plan, then one has "unlimited international calling" for only the additional $10/mo. flat fee. That rate is hard to beat.

Upvote 0
With the $10 "premium data" Sprint, the best value carrier next to T-Mobile, your plan would likely be the same price. Plus T-Mobile HSPA+ has so far shown to be superior, at least in my area.

Speaking of myFaves they offer it as a free loyalty add on for customers that have been with T-Mobile at least 2 years.

Here's what you can do, give customer service a ring and get transferred to retentions. Tell the retentions representative about the points in your post T-Mobile's value against competitors and thoughts of possibly changing networks, THEN bring up that a store rep told you about the myFaves loyalty add on. Even though it's for loyalty customers, if you let them know that it'd coax you to stay with magenta that should be enough to persuade them to help you out. I've made a similar call and got GREAT results :]

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones