1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Newly Rooted, some questions...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 9to5cynic, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    I just rooted the other day (Unrevoked 3 as per the Root For Idiot's Guide) and I have a few questions.

• I keep hearing a lot about different recoveries, and it seems that AMON RA is better than Clockwork. I am wondering what features or specifically what makes one better than the other. I've looked around, and found a post that lists all the features of amon ra, but the clockwork section is currently missing. I guess I'd like to know why I should flash Amon Ra.

• I know that certain things are not meant to be updated, like "don't accept OTA updates"... but is there anything that is safe to update from the menu on the phones? PRL? Profile? I assume that the software and firmware are no-no's.

Anyways, thanks for the help. Now if only I could get a rom to flash I'd be happy...Damn dial-up....

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    1) A lot of people prefer Amon RA over Clockwork because Amon RA has a history of being more stable, and having fewer issues. Also, Clockwork has a front-end that runs in Android. It's called ROM Manager. It's known to be buggy, and has left a lot people uneasy about using Clockwork, in general. Also, Clockwork didn't backup your wimax RSA keys until recent versions. That being said, with the more recent versions of both, neither one is really *better* than the other. They both work a little differently. ROM manager will work with Clockwork, only, though I advise you to not use ROM manager, anyway. As a whole, you'll probably have fewer issues if you just stick with Amon RA. Feature-wise, they're about the same.

2) Right, you can't accept an OTA update because you don't have the stock recovery anymore. Even if you did, it would unroot your ROM, and leave you with an hboot that is technically unrootable (if it's a new OTA that hasn't been rooted yet). If your root method was anything other than unrevoked-forever, then you'd lose root, entirely. In any case, you already know that :). As for stuff like software and firmware updates, we never really get those, but assume you should leave that be. You can, however, update profile and PRL. In fact, sometimes you need to.

3) My condolences on the dial-up.

9to5cynic likes this.
  3. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Thanks a lot. I will flash amon ra when I get the chance. And it's good to know that PRL and profile updates are safe. Dial up, what can ya do :/

Thanks again.

4. Spr8dogg

Spr8dogg Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Southern California
    Now that your rooted you can use your phone as a wifi hot spot for free. Cut the dial up! Lol good luck!

5. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Thanks. I think I have all the files I'll need now, but I have one last question. When flashing Amon RA should I format the SD card first? And if so, should I do it using clockwork (is that even possible), or a computer? By the way, I'm using the PC36IMG.zip method in the root of the SD card.

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    No, you don't need to format the card when switching to a different recovery. You'd only ever do that when repartitioning it to use a2sd (or a few other random things here and there).

7. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Thanks a lot akazabam. I am now flashing amon ra!

Tags: