• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newly rooted to KaosFroyo v34 - now, bad WiFi

notaguru

Android Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010
S Cal
This unit's radios worked reasonably well until rooted. Now, only 10' from the wireless router, it's intermittent. Phone and Bluetooth are both ok

Our two laptops and the wireless printer have no problems.

Everything else about this newly-rooted phone is terrific.

What could I have done that degraded the WiFi radio? What can I do to get WiFi back?

Thanks.

I had that same thing happen right after flashing and configuring one of the 2.2 ROMs, but I can't remember for certain if it was Kaos or Tazz; it was early on in my Froyo excursions. ;)

At any rate, it was not a deal breaker for me because I seldom use wifi, however I did remedy the issue by removing the wifi data, rebooting and re-entering everything in that menu area then rebooting once more.

Searching around I see that others have seen that issue and report success by either restarting the router after all of the phone settings are in or doing what I did or both.

Upvote 0
Are you using WPA with TKIP for encryption (or WPA/WPA2 with TKIP) for security on WiFi? If so, is it possible either to change the router to AES encryption with WPA, or to WPA2 only (which is AES only)?

(You can also try removing security, or changing to WEP, just temporarily to see if that is the issue. And, if you have software for your PC that can scan for WiFi, you can see if you have a channel collision with neighbors or something. It could be that the Eris is more sensitive to that.)

Also, just for curiosity, settings->about phone, what is the baseband version?

Lastly, it's possible that this is a kernel issue with the BFS kernel in V34. KF is up to V35-1 right now, using the CFS kernel, but if you want to stay with V34 you can try flashing the CFS kernel over it (without wiping, though a Dalvik cache wipe would not hurt). The kernel is here: [GPL]2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V5 9/16/10 - xda-developers

Put the download in the root of your SD card and boot into recovery. Do a nandroid backup (just in case), then flash the kernel from the flash menu. Again, do not wipe data first, but wipe Dalvik cache from the wipe menu in Recovery, and then restart, if you want to try the new kernel.

I have run KF V34 (and many other versions) with very heavy use of WiFi here at home and have had no problems at all. I have 3 routers in the house, so I am never further than about 25 feet from one, but it always works just fine. I have mine set for WPA2 for security.

Reactions: notaguru
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones