• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newly rooted. Wless tether won't work in xp?

bullpen7979

Lurker
Aug 15, 2010
OK. Rooted. Unrevoked 3.21 Yay & very good.

On my netbook, i can''t seem to get a connection to stick in xp. It will say "connected" but then jumps to connect to the other wireless router signal I have in the house. I tried shutting down the house router, and I just could not connect.

I have Ubuntu installed on an sd card so I booted said netbook into that.
Wireless tether works fine there.
I need wireless tether in windows, though. For work.

I am using 2.0.5 -pre11 version.

Is there another version that I should be using?

Slightly aggravated as I've been at this for an hour and a half now.

I know i've seen threads to this effect, but can't seem to get the right info at this point.

Also, could someone please confirm thier wireless network adapter settings on the laptop side? I assume it's auto -acquire for both ip and dns, but wasn't sure.

Any hints/input greatly appreciated.

ttt. Still unsolved. Can someone clue me in please? What is the secret to getting wireless tether to work? I can connect, but cannot get data. Have tried enabling and disabling access control, tried changing the ip address of the adapter to 192.168.2.10, consistent (i think) with 192.168.2.0/24 settings on the device. Tried two different versions of the wireless tether software. (one mentioned above and now 2.0.2 pre14.

Frustrating that it is this difficult to do in windows. Ubuntu worked fine....Anyone with a clue please chime in when possible...thanks.

Upvote 0
ttt. Still unsolved. Can someone clue me in please? What is the secret to getting wireless tether to work? I can connect, but cannot get data. Have tried enabling and disabling access control, tried changing the ip address of the adapter to 192.168.2.10, consistent (i think) with 192.168.2.0/24 settings on the device. Tried two different versions of the wireless tether software. (one mentioned above and now 2.0.2 pre14.

Frustrating that it is this difficult to do in windows. Ubuntu worked fine....Anyone with a clue please chime in when possible...thanks.

Where did you find a pre 14?

Upvote 0
On my netbook, i can''t seem to get a connection to stick in xp. It will say "connected" but then jumps to connect to the other wireless router signal I have in the house. I tried shutting down the house router, and I just could not connect.

You have conflicting info here. You say that you can establish an IP connection with the Evo. But then your computer jumps to your house wifi signal. Then you shut off the house wifi router, and now you can't connect to the Evo? Can you connect or not? :)

Ok, I will assume that you still can connect to the Evo, but the Evo is not giving you usable internet. You may be getting the "limited connectivity" message on your windows machine.

I had this symptom for the longest time, and I finally traced it do my installation of bash as a replacement for the default shell (sh). When I put sh back, tethering started to work again.

I suspect that's probably not what's causing your issue, but the idea is similar. Something you've configured or installed, whether it be in userspace or not, is preventing tethering from working. To begin to troubleshoot, first do a nandroid backup of your current phone state. Then, flash a rooted stock froyo ROM (or even a rooted stock 2.1 ROM). Make sure you do a factory reset before and after the flash. Then install wifi tether and see if you can get it to work. Use pre12.

Assuming it works, then you can start to install everything back, but test your tethering every once in a while. With some patience, you may discover what install/config that breaks it. Then you can avoid that in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones