• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

News for on contract T-Mobile Subscribers Switching for the EVO

TSellers

Aug 7, 2009
TL;DR version available at the bottom.

I am a T-Mobile customer using an ADP2. My contract expires on June 6th, 2010. As I was following the rumors and speculation thread, the main consensus was that the release date would also be June 6th and I was happy as can be at the prospect of getting an EVO on the first day and avoiding an early termination fee. When the release date was announced for June 4th, I was slightly bummed that I would have to wait two extra days in order to have my number ported over (and still avoid an ETF). However, I decided to contact T-Mobile customer support and see if they had a grace period or something. I know two days isn't that big of a deal, but I want that phone ASAP!

I used the online chat method to contact T-Mobile (I wish I had saved the chat transcript, but I didn't). I was told that there is no grace period, but that ETFs are reduced to only $50 or the price of one monthly recurring charge, whichever was lower, when there are 30 days or less left on your contract. I already knew that, but didn't feel like paying an extra $50 to get it two days early, and as a smartphone user my monthly charge with T-Mobile is about $66.

He then explained something to me that I did not realize: The ETF represents the entirety of your remaining financial obligations to T-Mobile. You don't have to pay the ETF and your monthly bill as long as there are 30 days or less left on your contract. The cool part, which I had him specifically acknowledge as true, is that if I port my number to Sprint on June 4th (which auto-cancels my T-Mobile contract), my final bill from T-Mobile will only be for $50. I actually save $16 by switching to the EVO on release day rather than by waiting tow more days for my contract to expire. I love loopholes!

Some people might have already been aware of this, but for those that weren't (like me) this means that on contract folks can get their EVOs thirty days sooner than expected. If you are a smartphone user on T-Mobile, you will probably even make money. If not, the worst you can do is break even (the ETF is $50 or the value of your monthly charge, whichever is lower).

TL;DR Version: T-Mobile customers wanting to switch to the EVO should do it 30 days before their contract expires rather than wait for the actual cancellation date.

TL;DR version available at the bottom.

I am a T-Mobile customer using an ADP2. My contract expires on June 6th, 2010. As I was following the rumors and speculation thread, the main consensus was that the release date would also be June 6th and I was happy as can be at the prospect of getting an EVO on the first day and avoiding an early termination fee. When the release date was announced for June 4th, I was slightly bummed that I would have to wait two extra days in order to have my number ported over (and still avoid an ETF). However, I decided to contact T-Mobile customer support and see if they had a grace period or something. I know two days isn't that big of a deal, but I want that phone ASAP!

I used the online chat method to contact T-Mobile (I wish I had saved the chat transcript, but I didn't). I was told that there is no grace period, but that ETFs are reduced to only $50 or the price of one monthly recurring charge, whichever was lower, when there are 30 days or less left on your contract. I already knew that, but didn't feel like paying an extra $50 to get it two days early, and as a smartphone user my monthly charge with T-Mobile is about $66.

He then explained something to me that I did not realize: The ETF represents the entirety of your remaining financial obligations to T-Mobile. You don't have to pay the ETF and your monthly bill as long as there are 30 days or less left on your contract. The cool part, which I had him specifically acknowledge as true, is that if I port my number to Sprint on June 4th (which auto-cancels my T-Mobile contract), my final bill from T-Mobile will only be for $50. I actually save $16 by switching to the EVO on release day rather than by waiting tow more days for my contract to expire. I love loopholes!

Some people might have already been aware of this, but for those that weren't (like me) this means that on contract folks can get their EVOs thirty days sooner than expected. If you are a smartphone user on T-Mobile, you will probably even make money. If not, the worst you can do is break even (the ETF is $50 or the value of your monthly charge, whichever is lower).

TL;DR Version: T-Mobile customers wanting to switch to the EVO should do it 30 days before their contract expires rather than wait for the actual cancellation date.

To this I would add that carriers are not allowed to withhold or refuse to release porting requests because of outstanding payment on the old carrier.

Upvote 0
My T-Mobile contract expires Sep 25, 2010

I will buy Evo on June 4th. If I port my t-mobile number that day, I will have to pay T-mobile $100 plus my remaining balance (my cycle begins on the 14th)

If I wait until June 25th when I enter 90 days or less remaining in my contract, I only have to pay $50.00 + remaining balance.

I will port my T-Mobile number on June 26th to save $50 bucks, since Sprint offers 30 days return guarantee.

On June 4th, I will call T-Mobile to remove internet $24.99 service and get the least expensive plan. I think is 500 mins for $39.99.

It goes in effect on June 14th, so when I port my number to Sprint on June 26th, my EFT will be $50.00 + whatever remaining of $39.99.

:)

Upvote 0
i failed the id verification check. i'm pretty sure my credit is good. and i'm pretty sure i shaved 10 years off my mom's bday on the id check. i guess i'm not good at math on pop quizzes...

supposedly i can try one more time but if i fail the second try, i'll have to wait 60 days to try again.

i know what you mean about edge. my area only has edge speeds available for tmo. nothing wrong with voice coverage tho.

Upvote 0
Skinny the same thing happened to me at the Sprint store but I found an EVO online with NO Contract and NO Activation FEE about 4 weeks ago on the Sprint Network. I don't know how they do it but the salesman stated they have an exclusive deal with Sprint and Verizon. It was $199 but you have to get the service of course but at least its no contract or activation fee..They did run a credit check but I didnt have to pay anything. HMMM..lower standards I guess..LOL...but if I did have to put a deposit down then extreme most would be $150 and that would be credited to your monthly bill on your 6 month billing cycle. She has only seen 3 cases when someone had to pay the full deposit. Email me and I will send you the website. I don't want anyone think I'm giving the website free advertising. She guarantees everyone is approved!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones