1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

News from Samsung...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rwillowwood, Aug 22, 2012.

1. rwillowwood

rwillowwood Lurker

I have the Galaxy Note and was unable to play any of my wma file library on the device - but the specs said it was supposed to. Tried WinAmp, PowerAmp - no joy on either one but the error message change from the "player" won't support this type of file to the "phone" doesn't support this type of file. :mad:

Called Samsung and they informed me that it would only play downloaded .wma files not anything ported over from my PC to an SD card and then inserted into the phone. They said they didn't support that type of secondary copying due to copyright infringement and the extra fees they have to pay to allow that to happen.

Am I getting a BS answer or what? :thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. TimeTraveler

TimeTraveler Newbie

Test: convert couple of your wma files into mp3's and see if it works. All of my home made ringtones are in mp3 format and it plays fine on my Note.

I use (any audio converter) search for it on line it's free.

good luck TT

3. hawks67

hawks67 Lurker

Interestingly, I dragged several m4r's to my Note's DCIM folder (phone plugged into PC running Win7) and was prompted each time to convert, which I did. Result: WMA ringtones that work fine. I do think this was before I "upgraded" to 4.0.4, though. It also might be worth noting that said m4r's were made using clean MP3's...dunno if this helps at all...

4. salla43

salla43 Well-Known Member

Pre-ics the note played WMAs , ICS doesnt support them it seems.

I had some success, however with various incarnations of ICS as i have a rooted note, and have tried numerous ICS roms. And try Poweramp trial, it may work. I had success with this software when other failed.

However, with the rom am currently using , WMAs not supported, so I just bit the bullet and converted my 10000 odd wma files to MP3 using Media monkey.

I think WMA is a dying format anyhow, so suggest you think about converting. I don't get recognisable audible degradation from the conversion.

I still have the WMAs but converted to new files 320kbps MP3s. I can still listen to WMAs on the PC. If you consider 320kbps mp3's probably give you 95% audio quality over the original, you are probably only downgrading from equivalent 192kbps WMAs to perhaps 185kbps equivalent sound.

I was, like you, scrabbling around for solutions, but eventually gave up and converted. I dont even think about it now.

5. droidcentric

droidcentric Well-Known Member

Wait till the new Windows 8 Mobile makes it's splash on the market and then tell us how dead the format is.

Samsung Galaxy Note Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 2500mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews