• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Next phone - note 4?

I couldn't agree more. I love the positioning of the power button and sound buttons.

Changing up the home key would be awesome to me.

I would really like an increase in sound performance to be honest :)

Not sure why Samsung hasn't adapted that speaker technology that uses the screen as a speaker. Maybe there's an issue with it interrupting the capacitive screen, but if they are looking at YOUM release for 2015, I'd ideally love to see a 6 inch phone screen, that folds out to a tablet (assuming fold out would be to 9-10 inches), has hardware buttons on the side only, and speakers integrated into the screen. That would be amazing.

Upvote 0
Not sure why Samsung hasn't adapted that speaker technology that uses the screen as a speaker. Maybe there's an issue with it interrupting the capacitive screen, but if they are looking at YOUM release for 2015, I'd ideally love to see a 6 inch phone screen, that folds out to a tablet (assuming fold out would be to 9-10 inches), has hardware buttons on the side only, and speakers integrated into the screen. That would be amazing.

This is all I have to say about that:
RBKlOtC.jpg

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
i think I'm going to jump from my ip5 to the note 4. this upgrade coming up is the most excited I've been in a while. i was debating between ip6, note 4, and the lg g3. but I've been watching reviews on the note 3 and realized i am more excited for the note 4. my first android was the captivate. back then android was still developing. i had that phone rooted running custom ROMs but wasn't happy. i switched back to my iPhone. but now android has evolved and I'm really looking forward to it! i don't know what will be the deciding factor for me between the 3 phones but all i know is i am very excited!

Upvote 0
i think I'm going to jump from my ip5 to the note 4. this upgrade coming up is the most excited I've been in a while. i was debating between ip6, note 4, and the lg g3. but I've been watching reviews on the note 3 and realized i am more excited for the note 4. my first android was the captivate. back then android was still developing. i had that phone rooted running custom ROMs but wasn't happy. i switched back to my iPhone. but now android has evolved and I'm really looking forward to it! i don't know what will be the deciding factor for me between the 3 phones but all i know is i am very excited!

Just understand the huge differences between Android and Apple. They just function a lot differently, and be more open to learning how to do things, rather than being taught by the OS.

Something Apple does is teach the user how to do things, or just make them so easy that it doesn't matter.

We are here to assist you in your transition if you need us :)

Reactions: toawkanavngthded
Upvote 0
Just understand the huge differences between Android and Apple. They just function a lot differently, and be more open to learning how to do things, rather than being taught by the OS.

Something Apple does is teach the user how to do things, or just make them so easy that it doesn't matter.

I disagree that Android is more difficult. I think the difference is that for many things in iOS there is only one way to do it, where Android, there are many. It may be more work to find and set up the way that works best for you, but once done, it is easier because it works the way you want it to.

Upvote 0
I disagree that Android is more difficult. I think the difference is that for many things in iOS there is only one way to do it, where Android, there are many. It may be more work to find and set up the way that works best for you, but once done, it is easier because it works the way you want it to.

Let me elaborate a little more :p

Basically I don't like comparing Apple and Android because they are such different OS's that it's hard to say that one is better than the other.

Each offer a different experience, and with those experiences call for a different type of user.

Apple users I have found enjoy that everything is fairly straightforward on their device. They typically only have 1 option on how to do anything and that is what they enjoy about the device, they don't have to fiddle with different ways on how to do things.

Android is completely different because, unlike Apple, there are a plethora of ways to achieve a common goal. If you want to text your friend, "Hey man I just got a new phone", you not only have the ability to choose the App that you want to send it through, but the theme of said app, and the keyboard you want to type it on. There are hundreds of thousands of combinations to achieve this one goal.

This is why people enjoy Android, because of the customization, something I have always enjoyed is that my device, albeit millions of people own it, no one has a device that is quite like mine, it is...it has to be, somewhat different than everyone elses'.

That should be a better explanation lol. ;)

Upvote 0
Let me elaborate a little more :p

Basically I don't like comparing Apple and Android because they are such different OS's that it's hard to say that one is better than the other.

Each offer a different experience, and with those experiences call for a different type of user.

Apple users I have found enjoy that everything is fairly straightforward on their device. They typically only have 1 option on how to do anything and that is what they enjoy about the device, they don't have to fiddle with different ways on how to do things.

Android is completely different because, unlike Apple, there are a plethora of ways to achieve a common goal. If you want to text your friend, "Hey man I just got a new phone", you not only have the ability to choose the App that you want to send it through, but the theme of said app, and the keyboard you want to type it on. There are hundreds of thousands of combinations to achieve this one goal.

This is why people enjoy Android, because of the customization, something I have always enjoyed is that my device, albeit millions of people own it, no one has a device that is quite like mine, it is...it has to be, somewhat different than everyone elses'.

That should be a better explanation lol. ;)

Very good explanation. The biggest misnomer about android is that it is more difficult than iOS. Truth is that Android provides more options to each individuals way of thinking. One way I like to describe it is, if you use iOS, you have one entrance and one exit. If you use android, you have multiple entrances and multiple exits. What makes people think it is difficult, is dependent on who is doing the teaching and if that teacher understands how the student thinks.

I will use my senior citizen mom as an example. There are only specific needs she has. Text, email, phone, and Facebook. None of those in any specific order. I initially started her off on Android, but customized the homescreens so that it was clear cut for her to navigate. When the iPhone was released on Sprint, she was so excited because everyone else around her had put a bug in her ear that it was so much better. 31 days later, after the return period expired, she decided to tell me that she hated it. It didn't make sense to her, she didn't like the smaller screen and wanted her old phone back.

Unfortunately, I had already sold her old phone to pay for the iPhone, but a year later, I
switched her back to Android and she has been much happier.

My mother is not even close to a tech kind of person, although she likes to learn about new things. Her feeling was that Android was so much simpler, but part of that came from my customizing the homescreens, so that she didn't need to even look at the app drawer.

#WidgetsFTW

Upvote 0

thanks for your input :). if i do get the note 4 (which is a HIGH possibility) i will be sure to come here and xda to get any of my questions answered. apple is user friendly and is very simplistic as oppose to android where it is more open for the user. i like all the customizing and features that android provide especially on the note 3. can't wait to till december for my contract! it may be a hard decision due to having all the phones that will be out at that time =P

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
What makes people think it is difficult, is dependent on who is doing the teaching and if that teacher understands how the student thinks.

It's the fact that some people are afraid of independence and when they can do whatever they want with their phone they feel pressured and get confused and worried. They get easily overwhelmed with all the options and just opt out and go to Apple, sad yes, but such is life, to each our own. I love Android, my parents like Apple. Would they explore their devices like I have done, definitely not. Is Apple better for them, yes haha, for me, god no.

I will use my senior citizen mom as an example. There are only specific needs she has. Text, email, phone, and Facebook. None of those in any specific order. I initially started her off on Android, but customized the homescreens so that it was clear cut for her to navigate. When the iPhone was released on Sprint, she was so excited because everyone else around her had put a bug in her ear that it was so much better. 31 days later, after the return period expired, she decided to tell me that she hated it. It didn't make sense to her, she didn't like the smaller screen and wanted her old phone back.

My mother is not even close to a tech kind of person, although she likes to learn about new things. Her feeling was that Android was so much simpler, but part of that came from my customizing the homescreens, so that she didn't need to even look at the app drawer.

This is my parents in a nutshell

thanks for your input :). if i do get the note 4 (which is a HIGH possibility) i will be sure to come here and xda to get any of my questions answered. apple is user friendly and is very simplistic as oppose to android where it is more open for the user. i like all the customizing and features that android provide especially on the note 3. can't wait to till december for my contract! it may be a hard decision due to having all the phones that will be out at that time =P

We are always happy to assist. Just let us know :)

I tend to hang out here and the VZW Root Forum a lot. If you need specific help I am usually pretty good about answering private messages :)

Upvote 0
A harp, probably. My N3 will probably outlive me.

If I were thinking about looking for another phone in a few years, it would be an unlocked bootloader, writeable SD card, much higher power density ... I'd probably wait until someone built a phone running pure Linux. Android, as it's implemented, is much too closed-dource for my taste, and what Samsung did to the AT&T and Verizon versions should be illegal. Can you imagine Chevy preventing you from putting anything but Shell gas in the tank? Or a desktop or laptop you couldn't load your choice of OS on? At least I'm not stuck with TouchWiz - that would have been an instant return trip to exchange the phone for a non-Samsung phone.

Wrong way around Rukbat - Samsung didn't modify the firmware, AT&T and Verizon did.

Upvote 0
Apple is user friendly and is very simplistic as oppose to android where it is more open for the user. i like all the customizing and features that android provide especially on the note 3.

One of my subsidiary reasons for getting the Note 3 and Android OS is the "locked down" nature of the iPhone and IOS. So much so that an app I particularly need is only available on Android.

Upvote 0
Quite right. The Note 3's performance as a phone is rubbish in any fringe areas. Awful.

I mean I haven't had this issue, not nearly as much as with my Galaxy Nexus.

It is already known though that Samsung radios are terrible and they always get cries about dropped calls and general reception being bad. :(

One of these days maybe they will get on par with Motorola in the radios area, but probably not.

Upvote 0
Interesting neophilia when you don't yet know what it is.

Sometimes you just know Simon :p

I mean when I upgraded to my Note 3 from my Galaxy Nexus, I knew since mid summer that I wanted the Note 3, I was basing my interest off the Note 2, and assumed that the device would be somewhat like it's predecessor so I would definitely want to get my hands on it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones