• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Next phone - note 4?

Interesting neophilia when you don't yet know what it is.

There's always that chance that Samsung will mess it up. I'm prepared for that to happen.
However, I expect it to be better than my Note 3 and keep the series I'm checking as the best in the smartphone industry.
I'll make my final decision when the specs are officially announced, but I believe in Sammy again.

Upvote 0
Personally, with the changes Google Announced today for Android 'L' (and this was only a peek) I'm actually going to ditch Samsung and look for an OEM that doesn't modify as much, or at least the decent headliner parts. The new Notification UI, Recent Apps UI, etc. I want that. I have a feeling Samsung will butcher the Lock Screen and Multi-Tasking interface and I'm not willing to run 3rd party replacement apps on my phone for these basic things. Unless TouchWiz starts skipping a lot of areas and leaving them as is, I'm honestly going to be done with them.

This is looking to be the first "stock" Android release that doesn't make my eyes bleed, and with the way it will work with other Google devices a lot of OEM customizations are going to start to use quite a bit of value (especially when tied to OEM-specific devices). I might actually consider getting a Chromebook now...

All thoughts and consideration about Samsung's devices pretty much disintegrated from my head as I watched the I/O keynote...

Also noticed Samsung was missing from the partners that will be using Android Fit. HTC and Motorola were there, though, and I don't think Google is dumb enough to "forget" to list an OEM as big as Samsung.

Upvote 0
Personally, with the changes Google Announced today for Android 'L' (and this was only a peek) I'm actually going to ditch Samsung and look for an OEM that doesn't modify as much, or at least the decent headliner parts. The new Notification UI, Recent Apps UI, etc. I want that. I have a feeling Samsung will butcher the Lock Screen and Multi-Tasking interface and I'm not willing to run 3rd party replacement apps on my phone for these basic things. Unless TouchWiz starts skipping a lot of areas and leaving them as is, I'm honestly going to be done with them.

This is looking to be the first "stock" Android release that doesn't make my eyes bleed, and with the way it will work with other Google devices a lot of OEM customizations are going to start to use quite a bit of value (especially when tied to OEM-specific devices). I might actually consider getting a Chromebook now...

All thoughts and consideration about Samsung's devices pretty much disintegrated from my head as I watched the I/O keynote...

Also noticed Samsung was missing from the partners that will be using Android Fit. HTC and Motorola were there, though, and I don't think Google is dumb enough to "forget" to list an OEM as big as Samsung.

You could look into getting a Google Edition Samsung device, maybe they'll put the S5 up there? Who knows :)

Upvote 0
You could look into getting a Google Edition Samsung device, maybe they'll put the S5 up there? Who knows :)

Unless they break off some off some of their useful apps/features and offer them in the Play Store for stock devices made by them, like HTC seems to be moving towards, I'd have to be crazy to pay TW Device prices for a Stock Phone :p

HTC is looking like a better long term investment and they are delivering superior support to their users these days.

I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out just owning a Samsung phone.

HTC already commited to a 90 day (or less) release of this Android version after they get the final code from Google. Samsung is likely to be 2-4 months behind them for this phone since their priorities change quickly once they release a phone.

Upvote 0
Whats people view of their next phone - those of us currently on the n3?

Theres a lot of good stuff coming out / out (LG G3 for example).

For me I think the next samsung note (4) really has to step up in terms of design. I'm not too fussed about metal bodies as the bend and dont swallow up drops. BUT Samsung are frankly getting left behind in the design stakes especially when you look at some of the other makes (Sony and LG) and especially the cheaper ones - Xioami, One Plus who are frankly making Samsung look silly.

Personally I think the S5 design is naff. Shame the Tab follows that, as it looks a great tablet. But compare it to the Ipad Air and it falls way short....

Only rumours about the N4 at present (which is frankly pointless to make assumptions IMHO) but we know performance wise it will be at the top of the game.

Certainly the build is important but honestly I place more importance on functionality and nothing comes close the Note at this time. A lot of things can happen before I get my next phone later this year but right now I'm absolutely targeting the Note 4. No doubt others will be jumping on that new iPhone 6 that comes out as it I've seen some pretty interesting rumors and speculation but in the end, its just more of the same old crappy rows of icons. Until they change that, I'm not considering it. As for the other phones, one of the main reasons I chose the Note was the stylus and the apps that go with it. there's nothing out there to compete with that either so unless that changes, I'm sticking with the Note 4

Upvote 0
I've now got rid of the note 3 as I've become disillusioned with Samsung build quality and speaker. I use my phone as a sat nav and the speaker was diabolical on the n3. The phone felt flimsy and creaked. Gone back to htc after several years and various Samsung, s2/3/4 and finally the n3. The build, functionality and sound of the m8 is far superior. Ok, no stylus, smaller screen, but that's the only downside I see. Far longer battery life almost 2 days, compared to approx 14hrs on the n3.
Only my views.

Upvote 0
I've now got rid of the note 3 as I've become disillusioned with Samsung build quality and speaker. I use my phone as a sat nav and the speaker was diabolical on the n3. The phone felt flimsy and creaked. Gone back to htc after several years and various Samsung, s2/3/4 and finally the n3. The build, functionality and sound of the m8 is far superior. Ok, no stylus, smaller screen, but that's the only downside I see. Far longer battery life almost 2 days, compared to approx 14hrs on the n3.
Only my views.

How were you only getting 14 hours of battery life on the note 3. I got like 6+ hours of screen on time on this without breaking a sweat and no use of power saving or anything.

Upvote 0
Note 4 rumors don't really have my interests peaked to upgrade from my Note 3, but the LG G3 Stylus definitely does:

No VU anymore, Note-like LG G stylus in making. Is this the LG G3 Stylus spotted earlier? - daily.bhaskar.com

LG G3 Stylus D693 with qHD display Spotted in an UA profile

Of course, that's assuming it is available for Sprint. I already love what LG did with the G3 (shrinking the phones overall size, but fitting in a 5.5 inch screen), so if the G3 stylus is a bigger screen w/ an integrated styuls and the same or smaller form factor than the Note 3, LG has me listening.

Glad I'm content with my Note 3 right now, but I have really liked what LG has been bringing to the table recently.

Upvote 0
Note 4 rumors don't really have my interests peaked to upgrade from my Note 3, but the LG G3 Stylus definitely does:

No VU anymore, Note-like LG G stylus in making. Is this the LG G3 Stylus spotted earlier? - daily.bhaskar.com

Of course, that's assuming it is available for Sprint. I already love what LG did with the G3 (shrinking the phones overall size, but fitting in a 5.5 inch screen), so if the G3 stylus is a bigger screen w/ an integrated styuls and the same or smaller form factor than the Note 3, LG has me listening.

Glad I'm content with my Note 3 right now, but I have really liked what LG has been bringing to the table recently.

Ohhhh, this does look interesting. However, the back buttons on that device always have me complaining... and I always will. Hopefully they won't push that onto the G3 Stylus device

This will make me definitely look at the LG G3 a little more seriously though.

Upvote 0

Yah, just make sure it has software to take advantage of that stylus. Kind of pointless otherwise.

Upvote 0
Haven't really heard anything about N4 that would make me consider upgrading fron N3
They would need to come up with:
64-128 Gigs
4 Gig Ram
5.9/6.1 Screen but phone not bigger that it already is, preferably even lighter&thinner
Wireless charging as standard
S-View cover included and not 60 pounds extra to buy
Obviously battery life need to be at least as good as N3

I don't want much do I LOL

Upvote 0
Typically they are going after the folks from 2 generations ago that are ending a 2yr contract. So the Note 4 is targeted to Note 2 folks. For them, the upgrade is more significant.

Very true that, however you would think they would come out with something that is a little more than a new camera and a software update :)
We shall see, personally I didn't see the N3 being a major leap over N2 once I had the custom Ditto N3 ROM flashed to it ( battery life was actually better on that )

Reactions: JimSmith94
Upvote 0
Yah, just make sure it has software to take advantage of that stylus. Kind of pointless otherwise.

Well, it really depends. I've been exploring different options on Note taking apps (which is the biggest reason I fell in love with the Note series). Where Samsung has gone wrong is re-creating their own apps, so that cross-compatibility with older versions of those apps is non-existent. Why OEM's would come out with proprietary software, only to not make it cross-compatible with older models is so odd and confusing to me. I thought Evernote would be the ultimate solution, but I really haven't liked Evernote's user interface, for a very long time. Ultimately, what kind of stylus LG offers will be the bottom line deciding factor, for me (assuming all specs add up with the other flagships).

While the other hover features that the S-pen offers are cool, they aren't that "important" to me.

Upvote 0
Haven't really heard anything about N4 that would make me consider upgrading fron N3
They would need to come up with:
64-128 Gigs
4 Gig Ram
5.9/6.1 Screen but phone not bigger that it already is, preferably even lighter&thinner
Wireless charging as standard
S-View cover included and not 60 pounds extra to buy
Obviously battery life need to be at least as good as N3

I don't want much do I LOL

I don't know that I would want the device any bigger than it already is.

I would love to see wireless charging as a standard though, plus I agree, not including the S-View cover and charging 50 dollars for it was highway robbery! :mad:

Upvote 0
one thing I'd like to see on the n4 is a screen you can actually see in the sun light. The new Tab S has such a screen which is launched Friday and I can't wait to have a play once they come in stock (holding off buying an ipad air for this).

If they can provide such a screen on the N4 i'm in - without it killing the battery.

Samsung bloat had no use for me. The s pen apps are used only as a scribbler/note pad. Don't use anything else so its usefulness has to improve.

I still go out for a day - for example last week to Goodwood FoS and the battery was at 4% by 5pm even though I used the camera lightly as I took the dslr! Battery still need improving and so does the screen draining it just so you can see it! Also when in an area of poor reception it seems to suck the life out of it trying to find a signal.

Don't need three sided screen. Would like a nice quality design and build.

Upvote 0
one thing I'd like to see on the n4 is a screen you can actually see in the sun light. The new Tab S has such a screen which is launched Friday and I can't wait to have a play once they come in stock (holding off buying an ipad air for this).

If they can provide such a screen on the N4 i'm in - without it killing the battery.

Samsung bloat had no use for me. The s pen apps are used only as a scribbler/note pad. Don't use anything else so its usefulness has to improve.

I still go out for a day - for example last week to Goodwood FoS and the battery was at 4% by 5pm even though I used the camera lightly as I took the dslr! Battery still need improving and so does the screen draining it just so you can see it! Also when in an area of poor reception it seems to suck the life out of it trying to find a signal.

Don't need three sided screen. Would like a nice quality design and build.

Upvote 0
I think we have all been wanting them to get rid of the actual button for awhile, but they have been persistent in keeping it.

Getting rid of the Home Button would be one reason to not consider the device. That button is useful. It's an easy way to unlock the device. I don't fancy tapping glass for stuff like that and sometimes I don't feel like stretching my hand to use the Power Button.

Upvote 0
Getting rid of the Home Button would be one reason to not consider the device. That button is useful. It's an easy way to unlock the device. I don't fancy tapping glass for stuff like that and sometimes I don't feel like stretching my hand to use the Power Button.

I mean I understand your argument, it's just for some users it's not a good enough reason, as coming from a Nexus device, I just find myself always going to the power button anyhow.

I find the 'Home' button lacking in usefulness, that could just have the same effect if we had on-screen nav buttons. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones