• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Next Samsung S flagship feauture

Probably not is my thinking.

Reason: it's no use unless there are enough games which support it. And if only one model includes this, even one of the best-selling models, that's still a small minority of the possible purchasers of the game, so it's not clear it would be worth the effort for the developer to include support for this.

Of course Samsung have the money to take risks (because there is a huge business with fingers in many other pies behind their phone division), so they might take a chance. But the flagship is a dangerous device to take risks with, and they are sensitive to the performance of their phone division at the moment. So if they were to do that I'd think it more likely they'd try it out in a separate device, that can be abandoned without damaging their main brand if it doesn't take off (the drawback with that being that it makes it harder to get the critical mass of games behind it). Also right now it looks like they are actually trying to push mobile VR, for which a joystick is no use. So on balance I think it unlikely.

Reactions: GodLovesYou
Upvote 0
Probably not is my thinking.

Reason: it's no use unless there are enough games which support it. And if only one model includes this, even one of the best-selling models, that's still a small minority of the possible purchasers of the game, so it's not clear it would be worth the effort for the developer to include support for this.

Of course Samsung have the money to take risks (because there is a huge business with fingers in many other pies behind their phone division), so they might take a chance. But the flagship is a dangerous device to take risks with, and they are sensitive to the performance of their phone division at the moment. So if they were to do that I'd think it more likely they'd try it out in a separate device, that can be abandoned without damaging their main brand if it doesn't take off (the drawback with that being that it makes it harder to get the critical mass of games behind it). Also right now it looks like they are actually trying to push mobile VR, for which a joystick is no use. So on balance I think it unlikely.

Man and if you could enjoy a game with that joystick feature and VR included? That would be awesome, an incredible amount of things .

Upvote 0
Sony had a big push for the gaming phones a few years ago... the thinking being to tie it together with the PS4 hardware and stuff.... but they died a slow and painful death, which may have scared the rest of the industry. After all if Sony couldn't pull it off, how could anyone else.

Personally I think Samsung will release flavored handsets, long before they try fiddly little joypads on them

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
The last phone that had a control (joypad) dedicated for gaming was not a success.
06891117b8ace995e29ab73e3f77c8ff.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones