• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NexTheme ESE81 R3 Release (4/21/10) - New Goodies!

Assuming I am understanding the OP his rom will work with 2.1 unrooted phones? i haven done anything yet to my phone. I also assume I need two different files suggested before I do any hack. One is the super recovery mod file in order to recover if I do something wrong and the other is actually the file that roots from 2.0 that will give me the super user option hack. Now my question is do I wait for my 2.1. update from VZN or go from 2.0. It also seems that when installing any file on your SD is needs to be named update.zip for the phone to recognize it as an excitable file correct?

God I feel dumb sometimes lol

Upvote 0
when i try to enter directions to navigate to in maps. it says

Sorry The application maps(process com.google.android.apps.maps)has stopped unexpectadly. please try again. and a force close box comes up. any ideas? anybody else? everything else is flawless.
Identical situation happened to me last night when I needed to use maps for directions. Manually entering directions gave me the FC. Fortunately, I had saved the destination in "My Maps" and was able to access the route from there. Almost didn't make it to where I had to go. :(
Gonna try some work-around...removing Maps from /system and try installing from the market to see if anything works. I'll post back later with any info I come up with.

Bummed me out too.

Upvote 0
Noob to the site...just wanted to give Fab big props for putting out this ROM! I loaded it up yesterday, coming from BB 0.9, though I did wipe first, and it is a screamer. Im running AdamZ LV at 1Ghz kernel at 800Mhz, temp staying low. Haven't tried to tether yet.

No 3D launcher or LWP helps quite a bit on the speed front; didnt realize the 3d app launcher was taking so much memory. And since both are quite literally just eye candy, the speed is def worth it. Not sure if its just that, but this ROM feels very fast (though I had never had Spare Parts before...), great work!

Speaking of Spare Parts, there's an option to display battery percentage in the notification tab, I chose that, but it doesnt change. Any thoughts or ideas? Not a BFD whatsoever, but it wood be cool :)

Upvote 0
Okay heres what I came up with for Maps. I deleted the Maps.apk from /system/app. I also deleted the com.android/google.whatever.maps.apk (I forget exactly what the file was named) from /data/data. I went into settings>applications>manage applications. Then hit menu, filter, and chose "All". This still showed Maps as being installed. It also gave me no option to uninstall, delete data, etc. SO.....I rebooted and it was gone. Then went onto the market. Downloaded Maps. It installed properly. Opened the app. Put in directions and within 3 seconds, it had my route planned. No FC's at all. I tried several destinations and all worked.

Hopefully this will help you as well double!

Upvote 0
If you have an older version of maps saved, ie with Astro app backup, you can reinstall and older version to fix this problem. Then reupdate.

Okay heres what I came up with for Maps. I deleted the Maps.apk from /system/app. I also deleted the com.android/google.whatever.maps.apk (I forget exactly what the file was named) from /data/data. I went into settings>applications>manage applications. Then hit menu, filter, and chose "All". This still showed Maps as being installed. It also gave me no option to uninstall, delete data, etc. SO.....I rebooted and it was gone. Then went onto the market. Downloaded Maps. It installed properly. Opened the app. Put in directions and within 3 seconds, it had my route planned. No FC's at all. I tried several destinations and all worked.

Upvote 0

Ahh, you guys didn't wipe your data :p

I also forgot to put in the instructions that if you had any of the apps I moved back to /system/ installed on /data/ to uninstall them first :(

Anyways, I've updated the OP with these instructions:

If you have Maps, Facebook, Goggles, Wifi Tether, or Spare Parts installed already on your /data/ partition (meaning you installed from the Market or updated from the Market), please delete them first, or else you will run into conflicts (having two copies of the same app).

Maybe in the future, I'll just leave these apps off /system/ and just have themed versions to download? I'll have to play around with that to see if it's possible.

Reactions: jbolenbaugh
Upvote 0
Ahh, you guys didn't wipe your data :p
Oh I did indeed wipe before installing. I know that for a fact. I wiped twice and cleared cache twice as well. Although I didn't uninstall before I flashed the ROM. So maybe the market thought I still had it installed?...in /data..?
And then somehow when opening the app after the ROM flashing there was some sort of conflict. I had an older version saved in ASTRO, but didn't reinstall it from there when restoring my other apps because I already knew it was in the ROM. Who knows. I was able to open Maps. Use it to search around, find locations, etc. The problem only happened when you would try to navigate with directions. You could put in your location and your destination address. As soon as you pressed the "Go" tab to navigate, then it would FC.

I kinda agree with you Fab. Maybe these apps should just be left out in the future as to not cause any unnecessary headaches that seem to pop up from time to time. If someone wants the app, they can just install from the market and then there shouldn't be any compatibility/upgrade conflicts.

Upvote 0
Again, great job on this. and just reread my last post, i meant multitouch in the mail app(s) seeing we have in the gallery now and also is there any way to not have the wifi signal icon , when wifi is on, to cover up the 3g icon??

I could be mistaken here, but I think the phone automatically kills the 3G radio when a WiFi connection is established to save battery. The 1x connection stays up however for voice. If I remember correctly, even on stock the 3G would disappear pretty quickly after WiFi connects.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones