• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 1 Car Home works on D2!!

inssane

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2009
Chi-Town
Sweet
Took me about an hour to get it to work right, but with these instructions it should work great.

carhome-shortcuts.png

Here is the Car Home file via my dropbox account:
N1 Car Home

- Install like a normal .apk
- It WON'T show up as a normal app
- Go into Root Explorer and change the normal car home (system - apps) to CarHome.apk.bak
- Create a custom shortcut on any screen and choose "activities"
- The new Car Home should be there (the icon has the google "g" in the center where the stock car home doesn't)
- DONE

I couldn't get it to launch automatically like the normal car home - so I have Settings Profile and I set it to launch in the car dock through this app.

When in the Car Home - IN the physical car dock and you EXIT, the soft home key on the D2 will not launch it like stock. Once you EXIT Car Home while in the physical dock, an icon in the status bar that says it's disabled. Just pull down the shade and click.

ENJOY!!

PS - It's sweet! You have pages to work with and can move icons between the Car Home pages. Also you can put whatever apps in the fields you want. I like it much better than the stock one, even though it doesn't have any "blurred" functions like clicking maps and having a ton of options available.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones