1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus 10 - Auto Power Off Issue

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mike042, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Mike042

Mike042 Lurker

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me. I recently had to replace the battery in my Nexus 10. I followed a YouTube video and successfully replaced the battery, charged it up and switched on the Nexus 10. OK so far.

Trouble is, the system auto powered-off when the battery was still at about 65%. It only took around 3 hours to fully recharge, and the same thing happened again, at about 65%. That was a few months ago. The system now auto powers-off at about 75%!!

Does anyone know how or where the level at which the system auto powers-off can be reset to a lower value. The "settings" pages are of no help, and neither is the manual. Is there an 'app' for this? Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Regards,

Mike042

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Sounds like a dead/dying battery.

Even though it has been replaced, it is still very likely to be as old (or close to as old) as the device.

Batteries degrade over time whether used or not.

This means that batteries sitting in warehouses are still aging.

Batteries are designed to last about 2-4 years.

#2 puppykickr, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Dannydet, ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Was it a third-party battery rather than a proper OEM part? Because some of those may not have the capacity and/or quality of the original. And there's not a lot you can do about that with software.

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  4. Mike042

Mike042 Lurker

Thanks puppykickr,
    I appreciate the comment. I bought the Nexus 10 in February 2014, so maybe its time to replace it.

5. Mike042

Mike042 Lurker

Thanks mikedt,
    Yes, it was a third-party battery (via Amazon). It had the same capacity as the original, I checked. The way the level at which the Nexus 10 auto powers-off rather suggests there is a 'value' in the software somewhere that when it reaches it, the system shuts down. In the same way that UNIX systems can be made to shutdown at a certain date/time. I was hoping that someone might know where that 'value' could be found.

6. puppykickr

No 'value' setting, as I have ever seen for such a thing on a phone.

There are apps for rooted devices that allow all types of settings like that, but I don't know of any particular shutoff settings.

It sounds more like the percentage being shown is inaccurate due to a failing battery.

It was shutting off at a different value before, and now it shuts off at a higher value.

It looks like being tethered to a charger or an external battery is in this device's future.

7. Mike042

Mike042 Lurker

Thanks puppykickr,

That last post was very helpful. I'll scan through the 'app store' in the hope of finding something.

Re: 'being tethered to a charger', was the reason I think the original battery failed in the first place. Having used the Nexus 10 whilst it was being charged, on many occasions, I read somewhere after it failed that it wasn't meant to be used like that. The article said not to use the screen while the battery was being charged.

I'll also investigate external batteries. Thanks again.

8. puppykickr

Older devices sometimes recommended not to use the device while charging.

Nowadays, most say that it doesn't matter.

Again, batteries are made to last 2-3 years, and I have always used a charger if available while using any device.

And these things are basically my sole entertainment.
    (Typing that out just now made me realize just how sad that sounds.)

Being as it is, my devices spend an inordinate amount of time plugged in.
    I usually get about 2 years out of a battery, less if I forget the device inside a tent during summer or it gets under the covers of my bed.
    Heat is a quick destroyer of batteries.