1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus 4 can't be detected by pc

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by balflear, Jul 16, 2013.

1. balflear

balflear Lurker

Hi all,my problem is that PC doesn't detect the Nexus 4 via usb. I tried with different cables,USB debugging on/off turn the phone into Safe mode i did factory reset and still nothing.I tried to connect it to another PCs still nothing only usb charging is working.
    Only if i connect the usb to USB 3.0 the Windows detect "unknown device" i tried to update the driver with nexus 4 driver,still nothing it cannot install it.
    *I tried to connect the phone to clean Windows,still nothing.
    *I reinstalled ADB/SDK nothing(Everything was up to date).
    *I tried different ports still nothing.
    *I tried with different pcs(different OS) still nothing.
    *I connected the other phones to my pc to check the usb ports and software and everything is fine.

*The phone worked fine until now.
    Please help me.

Thank you,

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. charliecc

charliecc Android Enthusiast

Not a solution I'm afraid, but a workaround in the mean time. Use AirDroid to transfer files over wi-fi.

3. balflear

balflear Lurker

That is awful,such a nice phone with so many problems...

4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

The only thing I can think is that there is a problem with the USB port on the phone :(

I've had a few issues with USB connections but it has always been down to a dodgy USB cable. The phone has never been the problem (touchwood ;)).

If I were you, I would contact Google Support about getting the phone repaired.

5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

It sounds like in every case, the mtp driver isn't installed or can't install. Let me look to see if I can find a manual install method. What os have your tried using?

6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

You mention you've tried it in a USB 3.0 port? Do you have a USB 2.0 port you can try plugging it in to? I'm sure I read recently the phone has difficulty talking to PCS via 3.0 ports.

7. balflear

balflear Lurker

I tried to connect the phone to different pcs,different ports(2.0/3.0),different cables,different OS(Windows 7 x64,Widows XP x86) and still can't be detected.I think that the phone usb is gone.

8. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Android Enthusiast

Last resort, in Settings, Storage tap the the dot menu and select *USB computer connection*. Try changing this to *Camera (PTP)* then reboot and try connecting the N4 to your PC. If you get any joy set it back to *Media device (MTP)*, reboot again and try connecting to the PC again.

9. balflear

balflear Lurker

I't didn't work no changes, thank you after all :)

10. balflear

balflear Lurker

Note: I upgraded to Android 4.3 and still no changes. The phone's usb doesn't working.

11. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Not sure if it was asked, but are you trying this with usb debugging enabled or disabled?

12. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

You should still be within your warranty period. With all you've done to diagnose, it sounds as if it's a hardware issue.

Your best bet is probably giving Google/LG a call I'm afraid.

13. kwalla

kwalla Well-Known Member

I had to try try multiple USB cords until I found one that worked. No idea what was different about the cords.. but only one of the ones I own will work to connect my Nexus to my laptop.

If my memory is right, it's the USB cord that came with the phone.

14. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

The OP should verify that any case or skin is not interfering with the usb connection by not allowing a full seat, otherwise it appears that the factory usb cable is defective somehow, a bad wire-to-contact connection, broken wire or corroded/oxidized contact.

I've previously found a broken wire in an otherwise fine-looking cable, age unknown. A simple continuity test with an audible VOM was the tool used.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews