• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 Charging duration

Depends on usage - like how flat the battery is before you plug it in to recharge for example - so it's imposiible to make any assumptions about whether your figure is typical.

It sounds reasonable enough to me though.
Thanks for your reply. Now this is today. Started around 20% took 2hrs. Doesn't seem quite right.

6c708c469f05ce1b234a56792dac3bff.jpg

Upvote 0
Let me get this right: is your issue with the actual charging time - which seems pretty reasonable to me - or is it with the system's "best guess" before the charge actually starts?

The "best guess" will always err on the long side, it's just a guide so you don't have to keep checking. If you wait for however long it says when you plug it in then your phone is sure to be charged. It will keep recalibrating itself based on actual usage but it's not expected to be dead accurate at any particular time.

Upvote 0
Let me get this right: is your issue with the actual charging time - which seems pretty reasonable to me - or is it with the system's "best guess" before the charge actually starts?

The "best guess" will always err on the long side, it's just a guide so you don't have to keep checking. If you wait for however long it says when you plug it in then your phone is sure to be charged. It will keep recalibrating itself based on actual usage but it's not expected to be dead accurate at any particular time.
Yes, both of them. 2 hours charging duration when connected at 20% it's just not normal to me. 1hour 30minutes is reasonable stating at 5%. Other then that when it says 2 hours I have noticed it takes a bit longer then that and that's isn't just normal to me either. I'm using the charger it came with, that is USB detachable.

Upvote 0
According to AnandTech, either wireless or wired charging from 0% to 100% should take around 3 hours well powered up and sleeping normally... Note that the last 2 percent will take significantly longer than you would expect. If you are getting sub-2 hour charge times, you are fine. Turning off the phone will also cut your charge time significantly.

If it really bothers you, and you battery is pushing 18 months old or more, replace it... it is a simple procedure that takes about 30 minutes even for the less than technically inclined, and the tools and battery needed costs less than $30, the battery is $12-$15 by itself if you have the tools that is all it will cost.

I frequently drain my phone to around 25% and connect the charger, in about an hour it is in the 80% range, and 30-45 minutes for the final 20%. Lithium Polymer batteries do not charge in a linear fashion.

And if you haven't done it for a while, you should completely discharge your battery (until it hits 0% and turns itself off), and fully charge it a couple cycles... Many people might disagree with me, but that seems to help bring back the a little if you do it about once every 6-9 months or so.

Reactions: Stylazation
Upvote 0
Also keep in mind that most phones start Warning you of low battery at 15% For A Reason.

It isn't good for these batteries to heavily discharge.

BELOW 15% is considered Heavily discharged.

Contrary to what you might think, the Best way to charge them is multiple Partial charges during the day. That's one good reason why one wireless charger at home, one at work makes such good sense.

The RavPower wireless charger is the kitties jammies.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
And as a side note if you let a Nexus 7 (2012) tablet discharge until it powers off all you'll do is give yourself a lot of unnecessary grief getting it to power on again.

It's really bad practice to fully discharge a LiIon battery. Best charging practice is "little and often", but in any case avoid the extremes of full discharge and overcharge, both of which are harmful to battery health. Modern devices will prevent overcharge so it ceases to be a user issue leaving only full discharge as the thing to be avoided.

Reactions: Stylazation
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones