1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Nexus 4 Display Quality?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by k0r3andud3, Jan 5, 2013.

1. k0r3andud3

k0r3andud3 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I was considering picking up a Nexus 4 to replace my Galaxy Nexus and supplement my iPhone 4S.

However, after checking out my friend's Nexus 4, I'm less certain - the display appeared awful.

For some reason, the colors were washed out (not just against the Galaxy, but also against the iPhone) and there was visible "interlacing" (obviously not true interlacing, unless LG used an analog video signal).

Can someone tell me that these issues aren't widespread? Every time I see his Nexus 4, I keep thinking to myself that the colors don't do the rest of the phone justice - it's like Google skimped on the worst area possible, the display.

I'm extremely picky about the display that's on my devices - I don't think I could live with a cheap display on my smartphone.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Assuming you are willing to root, you can tweak and adjust the color settings to your preference. As far as interlacing... I have yet to see it in either of mine.

3. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 25, 2012
    The above post is correct. Also, it could be because the only phone I had before this was my Samsung Admire and LG Optimus M but I personally think the display is stunning and to be honest of all the reviews I have seen on the phone I have yet to see anyone complain about washed out colors or something as severe as visual interlacing.

I have to think his phone is tweaked or defective. If you choose not to get the phone it's cool but at least have a good reason for not buying the $350 snapdragon powered super android.

4. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    OK I'm gonna give it to you real OP...

First off the display is fantastic, absolutely beautiful when looking at the screen from a variety of angles. But here's where it gets real tricky...for the last two years or so we've seen phone after phone with super saturated colors and extremely deep blacks, a la Super Amoled like the Galaxy Nexus. And Apple has also done a real good job at making the colors look really saturated, especially on the iPhone 5.

So after looking at those types of screens and then looking at the nexus 4 it appears the screen LG used looks a little washed out. Not the case my friend! Use the nexus 4 for a few days and then try going back to a Super Amoled and your eyes will want to bleed. The nexus screen is as real as I've seen on a phone, and extremely pleasing to the eyes. I felt the same as you, but after about 2 days I was in love with the screen and have since sold both my GS3 and iPhone 5. Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

5. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Great post Sean and I totally agree. Your post is spot on.

6. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

^what Sean said...

7. sandeep108

sandeep108 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    QFT. The screen is also very sharp.

8. jirok

jirok Member
    None

Aug 1, 2012
    Its just that the screen tech your coming from is different.

9. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

It's what you're used too. I thought the GNex screen was brilliant when I had it and especially coming from a Nexus S. Now when I look at the N7 and N4 I can appreciate the "washed out" look is actually accurate colour representation.

I still have my GNex so am in a good position to compare.

The iPhone display to me is excellent as well. It doesn't seem too oversaturated and the resolution is great - however the likes of the N4 and HTC One X have caught it up in my opinion.

10. realizm

realizm Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    The display on the Galaxy Nexus is beautiful...With that being said the Nexus 4 display spray sh!ts all over it.

My last 3 smartphones have used LG IPS displays and I personally think the colors are fine. I'm stock not rooted so I haven't changed the color.

People messing with the colors are former Samoled users that feel the need to fuch up colors to replicate their previous saturated and washed out colors.

The Nexus 4 displays beautiful true and sharp color right out of the box.

11. odhinn

odhinn Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Just received my N4, upgrading from an N1. Colors are muted compared to the N1, but they were supersaturated on the N1.

The main thing I appreciate about the N4 is the screen still looks the same whether it's in the dark or out in the direct noonday sun. I'm sure there are other phones that manage this, but this is the first phone, first device, I've had that manages to be completely normal in bright daylight. Most look washed out, dim, or even unusable without shading the screen. Not the N4 - full sunlight on the screen, any angle, still looks great!

12. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

I'm with Sean, it's a gorgeous screen. I was biased by the SAMOLED on my Galaxy Note, which was very nice btw, but after having the Nexus 4 for awhile I'm still impressed by how great it looks, even after having it for like two months.

Tags: