• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 Display Quality?

I was considering picking up a Nexus 4 to replace my Galaxy Nexus and supplement my iPhone 4S.

However, after checking out my friend's Nexus 4, I'm less certain - the display appeared awful.

For some reason, the colors were washed out (not just against the Galaxy, but also against the iPhone) and there was visible "interlacing" (obviously not true interlacing, unless LG used an analog video signal).

Can someone tell me that these issues aren't widespread? Every time I see his Nexus 4, I keep thinking to myself that the colors don't do the rest of the phone justice - it's like Google skimped on the worst area possible, the display.

I'm extremely picky about the display that's on my devices - I don't think I could live with a cheap display on my smartphone.

Thanks.

The above post is correct. Also, it could be because the only phone I had before this was my Samsung Admire and LG Optimus M but I personally think the display is stunning and to be honest of all the reviews I have seen on the phone I have yet to see anyone complain about washed out colors or something as severe as visual interlacing.

I have to think his phone is tweaked or defective. If you choose not to get the phone it's cool but at least have a good reason for not buying the $350 snapdragon powered super android.

Upvote 0
OK I'm gonna give it to you real OP...

First off the display is fantastic, absolutely beautiful when looking at the screen from a variety of angles. But here's where it gets real tricky...for the last two years or so we've seen phone after phone with super saturated colors and extremely deep blacks, a la Super Amoled like the Galaxy Nexus. And Apple has also done a real good job at making the colors look really saturated, especially on the iPhone 5.

So after looking at those types of screens and then looking at the nexus 4 it appears the screen LG used looks a little washed out. Not the case my friend! Use the nexus 4 for a few days and then try going back to a Super Amoled and your eyes will want to bleed. The nexus screen is as real as I've seen on a phone, and extremely pleasing to the eyes. I felt the same as you, but after about 2 days I was in love with the screen and have since sold both my GS3 and iPhone 5. Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

Upvote 0
OK I'm gonna give it to you real OP...

First off the display is fantastic, absolutely beautiful when looking at the screen from a variety of angles. But here's where it gets real tricky...for the last two years or so we've seen phone after phone with super saturated colors and extremely deep blacks, a la Super Amoled like the Galaxy Nexus. And Apple has also done a real good job at making the colors look really saturated, especially on the iPhone 5.

So after looking at those types of screens and then looking at the nexus 4 it appears the screen LG used looks a little washed out. Not the case my friend! Use the nexus 4 for a few days and then try going back to a Super Amoled and your eyes will want to bleed. The nexus screen is as real as I've seen on a phone, and extremely pleasing to the eyes. I felt the same as you, but after about 2 days I was in love with the screen and have since sold both my GS3 and iPhone 5. Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

Great post Sean and I totally agree. Your post is spot on.

Upvote 0
It's what you're used too. I thought the GNex screen was brilliant when I had it and especially coming from a Nexus S. Now when I look at the N7 and N4 I can appreciate the "washed out" look is actually accurate colour representation.

I still have my GNex so am in a good position to compare.

The iPhone display to me is excellent as well. It doesn't seem too oversaturated and the resolution is great - however the likes of the N4 and HTC One X have caught it up in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I was considering picking up a Nexus 4 to replace my Galaxy Nexus and supplement my iPhone 4S.

However, after checking out my friend's Nexus 4, I'm less certain - the display appeared awful.

For some reason, the colors were washed out (not just against the Galaxy, but also against the iPhone) and there was visible "interlacing" (obviously not true interlacing, unless LG used an analog video signal).

Can someone tell me that these issues aren't widespread? Every time I see his Nexus 4, I keep thinking to myself that the colors don't do the rest of the phone justice - it's like Google skimped on the worst area possible, the display.

I'm extremely picky about the display that's on my devices - I don't think I could live with a cheap display on my smartphone.

Thanks.
The display on the Galaxy Nexus is beautiful...With that being said the Nexus 4 display spray sh!ts all over it.

My last 3 smartphones have used LG IPS displays and I personally think the colors are fine. I'm stock not rooted so I haven't changed the color.

People messing with the colors are former Samoled users that feel the need to fuch up colors to replicate their previous saturated and washed out colors.

The Nexus 4 displays beautiful true and sharp color right out of the box.

Upvote 0
Just received my N4, upgrading from an N1. Colors are muted compared to the N1, but they were supersaturated on the N1.

The main thing I appreciate about the N4 is the screen still looks the same whether it's in the dark or out in the direct noonday sun. I'm sure there are other phones that manage this, but this is the first phone, first device, I've had that manages to be completely normal in bright daylight. Most look washed out, dim, or even unusable without shading the screen. Not the N4 - full sunlight on the screen, any angle, still looks great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones