• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 4 kitkat update issues

JASnexus4

Dec 16, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and a fairly new andoid user as well. I have recieved the 4.4 update ~10 times now, and each time i download it when i reboot to install an error screen pops up about 1/3 of the way through installation with the little android guys chest open. After about 3-4 minutes the phone then reboots and is back to runnung 4.3 normally. I get the update roughly every 48 hours and i guess could be considered insane at this point based on Einstein's definition. Can someone please help me out with this? I would greatly appreciate it. The phone has been factory reset-didn't work, and everything is stock. Help me out please and thanks in advance everyone!

Will i need to sideload 4.4 before i can sideload 4.4.2? And will it clear my data?

Each OTA is explicitly written to go from one particular version to another; that information will be included in the OTA filename. For instance, downloadsde8b8d101614.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip will update JOP40D (4.2.1) to JDQ39 (4.2.2). You'll need to make sure that you're already on whichever version is required before flashing the OTA. Otherwise, it will just straight up fail.

Installing via the OTA will not cause you to lose any data.

Once a factory image is available (as it is for 4.4.2), I really think that flashing that via fastboot is easier (and less problem-prone) than going the OTA/sideload route. Just be sure to edit the "flash-all.bat" script and remove the "-w" option from the fastboot update line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones