1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus 4 KitKat update problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JoshuaD98, Dec 4, 2013.

1. JoshuaD98

JoshuaD98 Lurker

I have been trying for weeks now to update my Nexus 4 from 4.3 to 4.4, but whenever I try to update it, it gives me an error message, in more detail below

So I get the usual OTA 'Android 4.4 System Update' pop up regularly and it will say Downloaded and Verified, and the bottom says Reboot & Install, after this it reboots my phone, and starts to update, about halfway through though, this pops up -CANNOT POST IMAGE DUE TO FIRST POST- with a message saying 'Error!', that is all that happens, if I left the phone alone for a while, it will eventually reboot back into 4.3 but the update will always give me that problem.

If you are going to ask this phone has been factory reset before trying this update and had the latest released build of 4.3 before updating

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S I'll try to get an image up.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. JoshuaD98

JoshuaD98 Lurker

[​IMG] This is the error I get

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I take it the phone is totally unmodified? No root/unlocked bootloader?

4. JoshuaD98

JoshuaD98 Lurker

I think the bootloader is unlocked, other than that completely untouched

5. El Presidente

VIP Member

You could try relocking and going for it again?

There was a thread in either here or the Nexus 7 forums (give me a minute to check) that gave the location the update file was stored, if you can access the phone and it does boot, you could try deleting that file and downloading the update again. It might have been a bad download.

Alternatively, flash it manually using the factory images might be your easiest option.

Edit - Ok, according to this thread, the update file is located in the /cache folder, it has a really long file name and should have the build name in it somewhere. So look for a file with KRT16S somewhere in the file name.

Make sense?

6. JoshuaD98

JoshuaD98 Lurker

Yeah I managed to find it, EDIT - I found the folder but its empty

7. El Presidente

VIP Member

What file browser are you using to look for it? it might be a hidden file.

I think your best/easiest bet would actually be to flash it manually with the images from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occamkrt16s

We have a guide on how to do that here: http://androidforums.com/android-sy...e-how-flash-nexus-factory-image-manually.html

(that actually looks a lot more complex than it is)

If that looks a bit daunting, or you want to do it without losing data, follow the instructions here: Android 4.4 KitKat Factory Images And Binaries Are Up For Nexus 4, All Variants Of Nexus 7 (2012 And 2013), And Nexus 10 [Flashing Instructions]

JoshuaD98 likes this.
  8. JoshuaD98

JoshuaD98 Lurker

Yeah that was going to be one of my choices, I use ES File Browser, I will try flashing the software manually tomorrow when I have some time,

Thanks for the help! :)

9. El Presidente

VIP Member

Happy to help! Let us know how you get on/if you get stuck.

10. JoshuaD98

JoshuaD98 Lurker

I'll be sure to message ASAP

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews