• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 on T-mobile, anyone?

Much appreciation if anyone can find out what Tmobile's "2g" speeds would be as this is probably the determining factor if I switch. On one hand 100 minutes isn't nearly enough for me to do the $30, and on the other hand 100mb isn't nearly enough to switch plans for a new smart phone with slow data:(..I guess there's the $60 option but is switching phones worth an extra $180 a year:thinking:..so many questions! (also the evo V is soo customizable right now and I just got a new one today under warranty)!!

Upvote 0
Much appreciation if anyone can find out what Tmobile's "2g" speeds would be as this is probably the determining factor if I switch. On one hand 100 minutes isn't nearly enough for me to do the $30, and on the other hand 100mb isn't nearly enough to switch plans for a new smart phone with slow data:(..I guess there's the $60 option but is switching phones worth an extra $180 a year:thinking:..so many questions! (also the evo V is soo customizable right now and I just got a new one today under warranty)!!

How many minutes do you use? For the $30 plan, you pay 10c/min over the 100 mins. So, may not be that bad?

Upvote 0
How many minutes do you use? For the $30 plan, you pay 10c/min over the 100 mins. So, may not be that bad?

$0.10/minute after the initial 100 minutes? That seems pretty good for me! I think the most minutes I've used was around 350 or something. So 250 minutes extra at 10-cents a minute being $25 extra on top of the $30.... $55 is still a lot cheaper than what I'm paying right now every month and most of the time I barely use any minutes.

I'll probably try and use GrooVe IP while I'm at home on WIFI. Does anyone else use this? Have any recommendations? I've experimented with it on my tablet and had some issues. The person on the other line seemed to have a difficult time hearing me but I haven't had a chance to play around with the settings.

Upvote 0
$0.10/minute after the initial 100 minutes? That seems pretty good for me! I think the most minutes I've used was around 350 or something. So 250 minutes extra at 10-cents a minute being $25 extra on top of the $30.... $55 is still a lot cheaper than what I'm paying right now every month and most of the time I barely use any minutes.

I'll probably try and use GrooVe IP while I'm at home on WIFI. Does anyone else use this? Have any recommendations? I've experimented with it on my tablet and had some issues. The person on the other line seemed to have a difficult time hearing me but I haven't had a chance to play around with the settings.

I use GrooveIP over WiFi and have few issues. I do, however, go into the settings and boost the volume/mic. Trying to use GrooveIP over 3G/4G can work well but depends on your connection, particularly latency.

Upvote 0
I have a Nexus 4 and got the TMobile $30 prepaid plan. The TMobile signal in my area is so bad I am going to have to have to switch back to ATT. What a shame. They really need to improve their coverage if they expect more customers. I live in a suburb of Cleveland not in some rural area.

why not just get a net10 sim or straight talk . they use att towers so your basically getting att service for $50 a month i think better than signing a contract bro

Upvote 0
I have a Nexus 4 and got the TMobile $30 prepaid plan. The TMobile signal in my area is so bad I am going to have to have to switch back to ATT. What a shame. They really need to improve their coverage if they expect more customers. I live in a suburb of Cleveland not in some rural area.

Where about in the 'burbs are you, abrahavt? If you're anywhere near the Fairview Park area, I'd stick with it for a week or two just to make sure

Upvote 0
It's not 100mb, it's 100 *minutes*.

5a6u2e4a.jpg

Upvote 0
why not just get a net10 sim or straight talk . they use att towers so your basically getting att service for $50 a month i think better than signing a contract bro

Actually, Straight Talk (and I believe Net 10, which is also owned by TracFone) use either AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. If you buy a phone, it should tell you on the box which network it connects to. If you order a SIM, you have a choice between T-Mobile and AT&T. AT&T has better coverage, T-Mobile gives you faster speeds and more data (allegedly ST users on AT&T are cut off about 2GB, users on T-Mobile about 4 GB).

Upvote 0

This is what I do, I have GrooveIP set for WiFi only (at home or work basically) and the rest of the time use T-Mobile voice. It works very well for me, though I have increased the Microphone gain under the Audio settings. You may also want to increase you speaker volume, again under the Audio settings.

Upvote 0

FWIW, in an area where my Nokia n900 was getting 8Mbs on TMo, in 2010, I was throttled down to 2G at ~250kbps, when I went over my 5GB limit....YMMV. I have since switched to "True Unlimited" value plan, which somehow save me $5/mo vs. my 5GB value plan. :screwy:

Upvote 0
FWIW, in an area where my Nokia n900 was getting 8Mbs on TMo, in 2010, I was throttled down to 2G at ~250kbps, when I went over my 5GB limit....YMMV. I have since switched to "True Unlimited" value plan, which somehow save me $5/mo vs. my 5GB value plan. :screwy:

What is this "true unlimited plan" I hear so much about? And is it available for prepaid?

Upvote 0
What is this "true unlimited plan" I hear so much about? And is it available for prepaid?

A few months ago, T-Mobile introduced a plan that offers true unlimited data, with no caps or throttling. Unfortunately, it is not available for Prepaid. Though it is available as a Value Plan -- which are still contract plans but are relatively cheap, as they do not add phone subsidies.

Upvote 0
Does t mobile choke down the data speeds on their pre paid plans versus their contact plans? Dude i work with gets 14mbps average on his value plan where as my data is very inconsistent and sometimes will reach 8mbps but averages 3 to 5. It's all over the place and his is dead on every time.

He has the note 2 bone stock where as i have the gnex with aokp if that makes a difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner and swiftkey flow.

Upvote 0
Does t mobile choke down the data speeds on their pre paid plans versus their contact plans? Dude i work with gets 14mbps average on his value plan where as my data is very inconsistent and sometimes will reach 8mbps but averages 3 to 5. It's all over the place and his is dead on every time.

He has the note 2 bone stock where as i have the gnex with aokp if that makes a difference.
You're in a T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 area. The Note II supports HSPA+ 42 while the Galaxy Nexus only supports up to HSPA+ 21. So it's got nothing to do with throttling. Your friend's phone simply supports a faster network.

I'm on a T-Mobile prepaid plan and my speeds on the N4 are just about that much improved over what I used to get on my GN, same network, same plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones