• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 rebooting after manual KitKat install via recovery

MarmiteX1

Dec 27, 2010
Hi there,

Prior to installing KitKat OTA zip file i was running Android 4.3 JWR66Y and I was rooted with no issues. Bootloader was unlocked too.

I downloaded the appropriate file Android 4.4 OTA from Google CDN:
c7d8660af65b878835d5248252f51dcbf53c2001.signed-two-step.signed-occam-KRT16S-from-JWR66Y.d1b99704.zip file

Now i tried to flash it via CWM 6.0.3.4. After i flashed it it says Status 7. Installation Aborted. There is an error in the <filename>

After i select reboot, the phone reboots twice, and returning me to the CWM recovery :mad:

Is there a way to get round this without me losing all my stuff? I can still access the bootloader.

I would appreciate if somone could assist me please?

Thanks,

Reactions: MarmiteX1
Upvote 0
I've yet to try the steps i mentioned. I'm not sure if i had USB debugging turned on before the issue had risen.

When i go do adb devices it doesnt display a list of devices.

I can't passed the boot screen. Does that mean i have to wipe my device anyway? or will the flash.bat file take care of it?

**Actually flash.bat worked. I had to place the contents of the factory image where ADB is located. I edited the batch file and remove the -w flag to preserve the data on the device*

Upvote 0
Gentlemen, I have followed the instructions outlined in the link attached by CodeSplice and i got past the bootscreen and all my data etc remains intact. Phew! Thats for that, much appreciated!

I went to settings and i am running Android 4.4 KitKat and the build number is KRT16S.

However when i go to the app tray the background isn't transparent. Is that because I dont have Google Experience Launcher installed?

Upvote 0
Yeah you are right, thanks. i had to install the latest Google Search apk and then the Google Experience Launcher(Gel) that would work with the Google Search.

I don't know why the icons are big all of a sudden. I wish there was a setting natively which would allow you to control the size of the icons unless i have missed something?

Upvote 0
Yeah you are right, thanks. i had to install the latest Google Search apk and then the Google Experience Launcher(Gel) that would work with the Google Search.

I don't know why the icons are big all of a sudden. I wish there was a setting natively which would allow you to control the size of the icons unless i have missed something?

Nope, that's just how things are with the GEL. You'll get used to it - or you'll go back to Nova.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones