1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Nexus 4 soft brick

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Banished Angel, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Android Enthusiast

I tried to flash Android 4.3 from the factory image so I wiped my device and after rebooting it would hang at the X loading screen. I rebooted into the bootloader and tried to flash Android 4.2.2 using Wug's toolkit, but I got this error:

[​IMG]

So now I'm stuck with a phone that can only boot as far as the bootloader and for some reason won't accept a flash. The drivers are working as Wug's toolkit verified the Nexus 4 just fine before attempting to flash. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Hope this helps, I did it on my phone, not because it bricked but because I was experimenting on things and my recovery lost the ability to install rom. :eek:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2010312

3. xploPR

xploPR Android Expert

4. Banished Angel

This phone is supposed to be almost brick proof and i've managed to do it twice now. I feel special.

jhawkkw, I verified the md5.

5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Did you check the checksum of the factory image downloaded against what google said? It might be a bad download.

6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Don't feel bad, I managed to hard brick one :rolleyes:

Another possibility is that maybe this new bootloader doesn't allow downgrading. Or maybe the device repartitions with the update which throws the memory address off? I'm mobile currently, but when I get home I'll have a look at the files.

7. Banished Angel

Negative. I've tried flashing both 4.3 and 4.2.2 and I get that error screen every time.

8. Banished Angel

I can flash system, data, boot, and recovery. It gives me an error if I try to flash the bootloader or radio and then everything I try to do after that returns an error. For example I can flash system and then reboot and flash something else, but if I flash the bootloader I'll get an error and then when I try to reboot it will return another error.

9. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

It seems that you're not the only one who's run into problems. There's at least two people on xda that have the same issue.

10. xploPR

xploPR Android Expert

Hey I got mines to flash, after changing the radio back to .48

Attached Files:

jhawkkw likes this.
  11. Banished Angel

EDIT: I figured it out. I had TWO bad cords. Not one bad cord. Two of them. Tried a third one and it worked right away. The cord that comes with the N4 is garbage.