1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nexus 4 WiFi Performance

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pusta, Jan 7, 2013.

1. pusta

pusta Newbie
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    I'm on my second Nexus 4 now, and both of them have had terrible wifi performance and range. I'm connecting to a NetGear WNDR4500 and I've tried both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, with no luck. The download speeds on the N4 are slow. For example, I'm downloading an Audiobook from Audible app and on the N4 it's downloading at 300kB/s, while on a WP and my Wife's iPhone on the same network are getting 2mB/s. I can't seem to figure out why, I've rebooted router, reset the device, nothing seems to fix it.

Anyone else having slow wifi issues?

Advertisement

2. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    My WiFi shows bad reception from anything over a few feet away but it still downloades amazingly fast so no I don't really have any WiFi problems.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    I am having the same wifi problems. My speeds are typically in the 3-5 Mbps range for both upload and download. My N10 on the same wifi network will pull 30Mbps both up and down. I have tried several different kernels with no change. :(

4. runtmms

runtmms Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 5, 2013
    Denver
    Have you tested with a different router? In the past I've had issues with some N cards not playing well with some routers. A Dell N card and a Belkin N router was a very bad combo.

I have a Cisco/Linksys router now and am having no problems with my Nexus 4.

-M

Nexus5 and Thats like this.
  5. Thats

Thats That guy is This
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Air Force
    Fargo, ND

This, right here. Hardware seems to be the largest issue with phones in general.

6. Nexus5

Nexus5 Newbie
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    Webdev
    runtmms nailed it with his observation on compatible hardware..

In my office we actually have 3 WiFi networks:

802.11a - 5Ghz - WEP + MAC Address white-list (For old crap, like our wireless scanner/printer that rarely works.)

802.11g - 2.4Ghz - WPA2 (For devices that cannot support N mode, even though the router supports N it's disabled.)

802.11n - 5Ghz - WPA2 (For all the latest devices, no A/B/G support is enabled, it's forced N mode.)

I was initially running the N router on 2.4Ghz for extra range but the area is saturated with newer routers so going back to 5Ghz was actually a major improvement in throughput here.

Whenever I get someone with a new phone I give them the info for both the g and the n, telling them to use which ever one is fastest with the least issues.

Other than one fellow with an old WM phone, the N router seems to be the most popular, especially since it stays connected when you are in the Starbucks next door to our office. ;P

Speaking of which .. I really need to add a virtual SSID today to passive-aggressively get back at them.. "Burnt plus grounds, again!?" :D

7. jTemplar

jTemplar Lurker
    None

Jan 17, 2013
    The issue I have with the Nexus 4 Wi-Fi is switching from one router to another.

I have two routers in my large house and whenever I move around the house with laptop or mobile phones they switch to the strongest router, however my Nexus 4 does not switch but rather disconnects from the 'unavailable' network and then tells me the new network is out of range despite the fact I am within 2m of the router.

So I have to toggle Wi-Fi off/On and then it connects.

Bizarre! :(

8. Nexus5

Nexus5 Newbie
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    Webdev
    Here's my go-to guide on small multi-AP setups:

Tags: