• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 4 won't connect to PC via USB

When I connect the nexus 4 to the WIndows 8 PC, it starts charging and says its connected with USB by MTP. But the PC does nothing at all.

Jelly Bean (I think some versions of ICS did as well) no longer has the capability for mounting your device as a USB drive, it only connects via MTP. They did this intentionally, giving some weird excuse about USB mounting being too confusing. I don't have a Nexus 4 yet so I also can't provide many specifics.

I believe an app called Webdav Server Pro can provide a network solution to this problem, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

Upvote 0
I transfer files via WiFi File Transfer Pro which is $1.40.....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarterdroid.wififiletransferpro

But there is a free version which limits file size to 4MB.....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarterdroid.wififiletransfer

I used to use WiFi file explorer Pro which works fine also and is just 99 cents, but wants more permissions....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...FiFileExplorerPRO&feature=more_from_developer

There is also a free version but it only transfers file in one direction....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dooblou.WiFiFileExplorer

I actually think this is easier than messing with cables.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to chime in again to say that I got my Nexus 4 last night, and today I connected it via USB to my Windows 7 machine.

Drivers were immediately installed, and then AutoPlay popped up asking me if I wanted to access files on the device.

I opened it as a folder and was able to access all the folders and files on the SD card as usual. As I type I am transferring mp3s to my phone. :)

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Just wanted to chime in again to say that I got my Nexus 4 last night, and today I connected it via USB to my Windows 7 machine.

Drivers were immediately installed, and then AutoPlay popped up asking me if I wanted to access files on the device.

I opened it as a folder and was able to access all the folders and files on the SD card as usual. As I type I am transferring mp3s to my phone. :)
Yes but will it work next time most reports say it will often fail.

Upvote 0

Same here no problems at all. Windows 7 gives an error of file not being able to play on device :thinking: but allow it and everything works just like a usb mounted drive for at least the folders you can access. I can create new folders, delete them, etc. and have done this multiple times.

Upvote 0
Can't say I've ever tried to transfer 750MB files.

I've shifted video files to and from the phone that were around 120MB - 150MB, no problem. I did had issues with file transfers once, but then I changed the USB cable and have had no problems since. Touchwood.

Re MTP: the thing I really like about it is I can continue to listen to podcasts while I'm transferring files. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as having an old style, USB connection.

Upvote 0
Can't say I've ever tried to transfer 750MB files.

I've shifted video files to and from the phone that were around 120MB - 150MB, no problem. I did have issues with file transfers once, but then I changed the USB cable and have had no problems since. Touchwood.

It seems like a rather important function if one wants to watch movies on the phone. In general, it's much easier for me to obtain (download, convert) video on my pc than on a cellphone. I'm surprised more people haven't talked about big file transfer capabilities or problems.

Re MTP: the thing I really like about it is I can continue to listen to podcasts while I'm transferring files. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as having an old style, USB connection.

That sounds like an improvement. I know on my Gingerbread phone I sometimes am annoyed that I can't check something out on it if it is connected by usb to the pc.

Thanks

Upvote 0
As others have reported, I have had no trouble transferring files to my N4 using either the USB cable it came with or my old one from my Nexus One. It does warn me that the file may not play and I just transfer anyway. I just transferred a 225Mb mp3 file (a 2 hour 256 bit-rate music podcast) and it transferred in seconds. Windows Explorer sees it as a music device rather than assigning a drive letter to it, but other than that, drag and drop works just as if it were a drive.

Upvote 0
I'm planning to buy a Nexus 4 and am reading up on potential problems. I want to be able to transfer movies (e.g. 750mb size files) from my XP SP3 desktop and was worried about the process until I saw your post. Can you just confirm that copying such files by usb cable works well for you with XP?

I've just copied a 2GB film through a USB cable and it worked fine.

Upvote 0
I found that the transfer system just hangs up on empty folders.
I tried copying everything from the phone to the desktop, and all I got was some gibberish about calculating time to transfer. I started copying the files one by one, and the ones that said 0 bytes would just hang up.

I rooted the phone before I even used it, so those folders could have been 0 bytes for all I know.

Upvote 0
I've got XP SP3 and it won't connect; recognises it as a Nexus4 but looks for drivers and fails to find any. However, a laptop running XP Pro connects no problem and I can copy files to the phone okay.

Not sure if it will make a difference to you, but i was having issues with my pc looking for drivers too, and then I turned off USB Debugging and it connected first time.

Upvote 0
SOLUTION used on my former Samsung gal nexus s w/ verizon
down loading from windows 7 and xp pro to the gallexy nexus via app from play store
NEXUS MEDIA IMPORTER works very well i had a female usb thumb drive thaT I COULD STREAMER FROM ON THE NEXUS!!!! I HAD 16 GIGS almost filled w/ apps and music. i would travel by air or over seas stream movies in higher def when i didn't have room on the phone and there was no sd card as on the nexus 4.

i do not have a nexus4 now. i am exploring buying one strictly for international travel.

Upvote 0
I FOUND A FIX for the Nexus 4 not connecting to a PC via usp as MTP:

My first Nexus 4 was not an issue at all - it just worked.
I got a warranty replacement N4 and it would not connect as MTP.
Support was idiotic and not helpful and sent me a different N4.
Upon receiving that one, it also wouldn't connect.

Here is what fixed it (on Windows 7 - it may work on Windows 8):

1. Plug phone in and let it install drivers as usual
2. If it hasn't worked, open device manager
3. Find your Android device and right click on the ADB device and choose un-install
4. The box that pops up, check the box to un-install drivers.
5. Unplug the phone and plug it back in. It will reload drivers. (It will now show up in device manager under portable devices rather than Android)

Now you should be able to access your phone through file manager!

I really hope this helps many of you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones