1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nexus 5 died. Any ideas for next device?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tekergo, Feb 18, 2018.

1. tekergo

tekergo Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2018
    Hi everyone!

My good N5 has died, so i have to look for a new phone. However i'm really outdated in this topic, don't really know what brands and phones are good nowadays. I would be really grateful if you could give me some recommendations i could start from.

I wouldn't really like to get a weaker phone, i guess it makes sense. I also really like the stock android environment, so it's a great plus if it's pure (or if i could change it while keeping the warranty).
    I don't play games, but like taking pictures when i'm doing outdoor stuff, so any camera which is at least as good as N5's, is good, better is better (i don't care about the front camera, never done a selfie in my life). This ~5" size is perfect, not too big, but still usable. I loved the rgb notification led function, i don't know how much of a standard it is now.
    I actually like the N5's simple look, i don't need fancy exterior. You know, what matters is the inside :D
    Oh, and the price range. Although i'm willing to bend for a good deal, a ~250€ sounds reasonable.

Do you have any ideas, where should i look around?

Advertisement

2. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit
    Recognized Developer

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
  3. tekergo

tekergo Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2018
  4. tekergo

tekergo Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2018
    Well, after spending the past few days browsing the internet, i just can't find a decent phone that would be small, yet powerful enough, without those big ass bezels... I can't get rid of the idea of getting a nexus 5 again.
    What do you guys think, would it make any sense? I mean in terms of aging electronics, etc. Even though i could find a new one, it's already 4-5 years old... Or would i regret it, since it's already a bit outdated for today's apps?

5. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit
    Recognized Developer

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Why not? Mine still works fine. I replaced the battery on it, which made it good as new.
    Apps run well, and you already said you don't play games, requiring a lot of processing power.
    Only downside is it doesn't get official Android updates, but you can easily root this phone and bring it bang up to date in terms of O/S version.

6. Skittles

Skittles Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2017
    Male
    Student
    47 Degrees north
    It's not that bad,Actually no ideas. Though, It's quite hard to match all of the conditions.

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you can get a new battery, the rest is in good condition, and you are OK with the limited storage still, then sure. One of my colleagues is still using one.

But I'm a little surprised that "powerful enough" is a problem if going back to the N5 is OK: the N5 is 4 years old, and most year old midranges should match or beat it in that respect (if not the others).

8. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

Jan 14, 2011
    Male
    Truck Driver
    Nevada
    @tekergo
    You could always upgraded to the nexus 6, of course it's going into its fourth year of service. Security patches have dropped and so have Android o.s updates.
    It really comes down to how much you want to spend

Skittles likes this.
  9. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Streaker By Birff
    In Cell Phone SIMetery
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Sending our simcere SIMpathies and inviting you to lay your loved android to rest here in Android Forums Cell Phone Simetery: https://androidforums.com/threads/cell-phone-simetery-lay-your-dead-cellphones-to-rest-here.435313/

10. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    After two Nexus phones, the last one being a Nexus 5 which I loved using, I settled on a OnePlus 3T to replace it. I wanted a Pixel, but the price and battery size put me off.

OnePlus haven't messed with Android too much and I quite like some of the things they've added to it. Apart from moving away from Google's Android and its updates, the 3T is better than the N5 in all areas. The main thing I miss though is the size of the N5, I prefer it for carrying in a pocket and one-handed use.

I'll still consider a Pixel when I feel the time has come to replace the 3T.

psionandy likes this.