• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 Hangouts Google Voice Integration Works!

slickromeo

Lurker
May 9, 2010
So after experimenting with My Nexus5. I have noticed something rather fascinating...... instead of explaining it, I figure its best to just give an example of what I am seeing. But first, i'll list the steps you'll need to do in order to replicate this.

1. open google voice app, goto settings, then 'sync and notifications', then click "receive text messages", and checkmark "via the messaging app"

ok, now to the examples: lets say your mobile number is 555-5555, and your gvoice number is 555-5557.

Examples
Ex #1) someone texts your gvoice 555-5557 number. when hangouts receives this text, it will appear as if it came from another number (for example 916-538-4889), but in the text preview snippet, you'll see the name of the person texting you (assuming this person is in your contacts list, otherwise it'll show their true phone number)
#1a) replying to this text, you'll be indeed texting some unknown intermediary google number, which presumably google owns, however this redirects your text to your recipient and it will send that person a text message, and the person who receives it will see that you texted them from your google voice number (555-5557)

Ex #2) someone texts your regular mobile number 555-5555, you'll receive it like normal....... and when you reply to this text message, your recipient will receive your text like as if it came from your regular mobile number 555-5555.

Ex #3) and then of course, the hangouts app also sends/receives hangout messages.

In other words........ I've manged to send/receive gvoice, regular text, and hangout messages all from the same app.

The implementation could be a little better. however, it at least exists !

P.S.
as a bonus, its nice to setup your voicemail so that you can view and play voicemails from the phone call log instead of going into google voice to play your voicemails or instead of calling a number to listen to them.

I was trying to setup Google Voice integration with WiFi calls last night but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I eventually found an article stating that it doesn't work yet and that Google is working on it but it could be several months into 2014 before there's a solution. So I installed Talkatone and my wife can use that for WiFi calls.

Upvote 0
I was wonder if that would work slickromeo. I just got my N5 on a new account today so I'll try it later, thought I'm a little confused about your #1b with the random Google number. I'll have to try it tonight. The wife and I both use GVoice and we never give out our real cell numbers so #2 is irrelevant for us.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones