• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 Hardware V 2.0 (Hardware Revision)

Rxpert83

Dr. Feelgood
Aug 30, 2011
MN
For those of you who are returning your device due to one defect or another, you might be interested in knowing users are receiving a sublty improved design for things like the speakers and buttons.

Similar to how the nexus 4 had a revision with "nipples" last year

You can see the differences in this post here

attachment.php

attachment.php

Reactions: knwt
For those of you who are returning your device due to one defect or another, you might be interested in knowing users are receiving a sublty improved design for things like the speakers and buttons.

Similar to how the nexus 4 had a revision with "nipples" last year

You can see the differences in this post here

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think there's going to be Alot of people trying to return their n5s..i might try sending mine back for the newer version..

Upvote 0
Just my 2cents here. I've had the Gnex for 2years now with the protruding buttons and have not found them a detriment but actually a plus in blind feel. Also with the Diztronic case I now use with my N5 I don't think the flush buttons would work well and it also covers the SIM tray so that is a non-issue. Bigger sound holes may make the perception of increased volume better but mine is plenty loud with 4.4.2.

And if I'm mistaken with the above reasoning the price I paid Google for this quality phone will more than pay for itself by not getting insurance in the event of accidental mishap and needing to buy another in the future when prices will be cheaper yet and I can sell this one for parts at a minimum at least. Just saying here;)

Upvote 0
Just my 2cents here. I've had the Gnex for 2years now with the protruding buttons and have not found them a detriment but actually a plus in blind feel. Also with the Diztronic case I now use with my N5 I don't think the flush buttons would work well and it also covers the SIM tray so that is a non-issue. Bigger sound holes may make the perception of increased volume better but mine is plenty loud with 4.4.2.

And if I'm mistaken with the above reasoning the price I paid Google for this quality phone will more than pay for itself by not getting insurance in the event of accidental mishap and needing to buy another in the future when prices will be cheaper yet and I can sell this one for parts at a minimum at least. Just saying here;)

Makes sense.. Cool..might just keep mine n be happpy

Upvote 0
I have a original batch nexus and it seems fine but am tempted to get a revision. How does Google handle returns? Do they make u send back ur phone first or do they do you out a device first and then you and yours back? I do not have another phone to use.

Google will email you a link to order another nexus, you order it but no money leaves your account at all, and you have 21 days to return your defected nexus back to Google, so you won't be phoneless. Separately, in that time they'll also post you a return bag for you to send your phone back in.

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, you shouldn't be returning your phone just so you can try to get this "new" one.

If there's nothing wrong with your phone now... That's great, don't return it. I posted this to inform those who were already returning their defective device to be on the lookout for some possible differences.

Upvote 0
Got my new nexus 5 Last night, 32gb white, wasn't the revised one, the video recording is still really static ayounding (not as bad as some YouTube videos) but my phone quality is perfect both Normal and speaker phone. I think it may be a software issue.

There is no glue in the speaker holes this time which is good, but sound volume still sounds the same and recording still sounds the same, so basically it has no notocble difference then the one I exchanged lol.

Reactions: vanack and Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Got my new nexus 5 Last night, 32gb white, wasn't the revised one, the video recording is still really static ayounding (not as bad as some YouTube videos) but my phone quality is perfect both Normal and speaker phone. I think it may be a software issue.

There is no glue in the speaker holes this time which is good, but sound volume still sounds the same and recording still sounds the same, so basically it has no notocble difference then the one I exchanged lol.

Really..u didnt get the revised one? that sucks...figured they took all the old ones out of stock...i wonder if they give out the old versions still for warranty exchanges but the new revised ones for new buyers

Upvote 0
My guess is that the holes (power button hole and speaker grills) in the "original" and "v2" are all within the same tolerance. Don't be surprised if the next batch comes out looking like the originals. Tighter tolerance = more $$, and they're going to keep tolerances tight where it matters, not in speaker holes where it doesn't matter. That's my theory.

Upvote 0
As quickly as they ran out of stock I doubt there's too many of the originals laying around.

well I got an original if the small speaker holes and loose button are any indicator. I emailed google support about the loose button and asked if it is anything I should be concerned with as it doesn't really bug me, they told me if I wanted to they would exchange it, I said not unless they could insure me I would get a new "revised" one or else the button would most likely still be loose. He said that's a valid point and if I ever decide in the future I want a replacement I know how to reach him.

so since I have those emails saved I may wait a month to ensure all the originals are gone and then ask for one. lol but more likely then not ill forget about it in a week because the power button doesn't even bug me.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones